Back in the field

LIBERTY

"Target is a mobile satellite launch platform, the Lemurian Star." Said the S.T.R.I.K.E. team leader who's name I still don't know and didn't bother to read his mind to find out, "They were sending up their last payload when pirates took them, 93 minutes ago." I crossed my arms.

"Any demands?" Steve asked.

"Billion and a half." The squad leader replied.

"Why so steep?" Steve questioned.

"Because it's S.H.I.E.L.D.'s."

"So it's not off-course. It's trespassing." I said.

"I'm sure they have a good reason." Nat said bringing her hand to the chin.

"You know, I'm getting tired of being Fury's Janitor." I grumbled.

"Me too." Steve agreed.

"Relax, it's not that complicated." Nat rolled her eyes.

"How many pirates." Stave asked getting back on topic.

"Twenty five. Top mercs led by this guy." The squad leader, I'm still to lazy to find out his name, "Georges Batroc. Ex-DGSE, Action Division. He's at the top of Interpol's Red Notice. Before the French demobilized him, he had 36 kill missions. This guy's got a rep for maximum casualties."

"Hostages?" Steve asked.

"Mostly techs. One officer, Jasper Sitwell. They're in the galley."

"What's Sitwell doing on a launch ship?" Steve mumbled to no one in particular, "All right, I'm gonna sweep the deck and find Batroc, GG you're with me. Nat you kill the engines and wait for instructions. Rumlow, you sweep aft, find the hostages, get them to life pods, get them out. Let's move." He ordered.

"Secure channel seven."

"Seven secure," Nat replied, "did you do anything fun Saturday night?" She asked.

"Well, all the guys at my barbershop quartet are dead, so, no not really."

"Coming up on the drop zone Cap, GG." A voice said over the com.

"You know, if you ask Kristen out, from statistics, she'd probably say yes." Nat stated making me roll my eyes.

"That's why I don't ask." Steve said as he pulled his helmet on. The ship doors started opening.

"To shy, or too scared?" Nat called over the wind.

"Too busy!" He yelled as he jumped out.

"Was he wearing a parachute?" One of the S.T.R.I.K.E. Team members asked concerned.

"Nope," I said tightening my belt around my waist walking backwards toward the opening, "I feel like I'm forgetting something..." And then I stepped off the ship backwards, probably skating the guy half to half to death, falling down toward the ocean.

My comedy mission accomplished.

I dove toward the ocean pulling out my wings, picking of Steve from the water and quietly placing him behind one of the guards who he quickly and quietly knocked out.

We moved on and started talking out other guards. I was slapping them out cold with my wings or pushing them over board.

I met back up with Steve as Rumlow and his team were taking off their parachutes. I followed Steve and Nat as they walked in another direction.

"What about the nurse that lives across the hall from you? She seems kinda nice." Nat said.

I rolled my eyes ever since I realized I couldn't age, I gave up on finding love. I had someone, but he's long gone and probably never thought of me in that way.

"Secure the engine room, then find me a date." Steve said plainly.

"I'm multitasking." She said before she jumped over the railing to a lower deck.

I continued to follow Steve as he jumped up to a higher level getting a better angle so that he could throw a microphone on the window so he could hear the Batroc's conversation.

We swiftly and quietly made it to a hiding spot where I pulled my wings closer to my body.

"Targets acquired, S.T.R.I.K.E. in position." Rumlow said over the com.

"Natasha, what's your status?" Steve asked waiting a second, "Natasha, status."

"Hang on!" She said sounding busy, "Engine room secure." She finally replied.

"On my mark," Steve started making me take a deep breath, "three, two, one."

We started running toward the bridge when Steve threw his shield through the window making it shatter.

He jumped in and I glided past him knocking out the guy nearest to me while Steve grabbed his shield and ran after another in pursuit.

"Hostages en route to extraction, Romanoff missed the Rendezvous point, Cap." Rumlow said over the com as we raced down steps, "hostiles are still in play."

"Natasha, Batroc's on the move." Steve said over the com to Nat, "circle back to Rumlow and protect the hostages. Natasha." He turned to me, "Find her."

I nodded and took off in the air. I took a deep breath in and opened my mind searching for Natasha location. I read her thoughts and found out what she was doing and huffed irritated. I dove back down turning transparent and landing by Nat become solid again.

"Well this is awkward."

"No shiz Sherlock! Steve's gonna be so pissed!"

Then all of a sudden two men rammed the door over.

"Now this is awkward." I said.

"What are you doing?" Steve grunted standing up.

"She's backing up the hard drive." I rolled my eyes.

"Hey, it's a good habit to get into." She retaliated.

"Rumlow needed your help. What the hell are you doing here?" Steve said irritated walking over neat us. Looking at the screen he understood.

"Your saving S.H.I.E.L.D. Intel."

"Whatever I can get my hands on."

"But our mission was to rescue hostages." I said stepping back and leaning against the desk about two feet away.

"No that was your mission," she said as she grabbed the hard drive, "and you two have done it beautifully."
Steve grabbed her arm.

"You've just jeopardized this whole operation." He growled.

"I think that's overstating things"

Then the guy Steve rammed with the door stood up and threw a grenade at us Steve deflected it and grabbed Nat and shielded her getting away from the blast as I protected myself by wrapping my wings around my body.

As the explosion hit me I was thrown against the wall feeling my feathers singed and shards from windows and computer screens embed themselves in my skin.

I released my wings grip over my body I let out a small whimper of pain. My wings were burnt, singed, and bloody with shards sticking out all over.

I coughed as I slowly followed an angry Steve toward the rendezvous point.

I did not miss being in the field.

--

Hey guys!

I'm sorry this update is so late

I've been working on school and geometry has been frustrating the crap out of me

Also I had a hard time writing this chapter so that didn't help

Hope it wasn't too bad

I update sooner next time ;)

OMG GUYYYYYS! Ghost Guardian is a 9.88k reads! Thank you all so much! When I saw that I almost started crying I was so shocked and happy (':

Please vote and comment for more!

PEACE OUT MORTALS!

~Maggie