The Confession

"WHAT?" I asked, extremely surprised, and almost crashed into a tree.

"Eyes on road dude. Not on other people's homes," Ed joked.

"My dad was controlled by the people behind this virus," started Ellie, "he never knew what he was doing. He was not in his senses, at least that's what he told me." I nodded in acknowledgement. "So anyway," she continued, "there's this secret laboratory on the outskirts of our city, and somehow my dad came to know about it.

"He, being a man too curious for his own good, decided to sneak around there. When he approached the gate and rang the doorbell, a syringe was put into his arm, and before he could see who did it, he passed out. When he came to, he was lying on some sort of operation bed, and he described his head as feeling heavy. He felt as though he was drugged. He tried to escape the place but the doors were locked. He banged on them crying for help. A bald man dressed in a coat opened the door. He had some kind of device in his hand. He clicked on it and my father fell down, as if in control of the man. He understood that he was in the control of these people through some chip. The bald man lead him to a lab of some sort and handed him a revolver," she said showing us her revolver.

"He was given this revolver to kill anyone who found out about that place and then was assigned to do some tests on this virus. Every morning he would wake up by the cold water poured on him by the guards. He was given some sort of drug the purpose of which he did know. To keep the chip working and to stop him from fighting against them. Every day he went to the same lab, running the same tests. One day when he woke up he saw that the guards were wet and not him. He understood that they were drunk seeing how they stood and pouring the water on each other. They tried to give him the drugs but instead of drugs, they gave him adrenaline, which they carried around for themselves. Dad had a sudden burst of energy in him and so he twisted the necks of the drunk guards, who couldn't put up much of a fight. He went back to the lab. The bald guy must have thought that he was still under his control since he went and did everything that he normally did. Around lunch time, he sneaked into the lab and started some other tests. He found out that this virus infected the brain of a person. He also found out that these things at night can track you because of the presence of a working heart.

"As he was about to leave the place, the bald guy came back and noticed that my father was not under his control. My dad tried to run for it, but a bullet caught him in his hand. Our home at the time was about two hundred metres away from the location of the laboratory so my dad decided to run for it. He ran and ran until he could see our house. I stood outside in the garden watering the plants when I heard the sound of body hitting ground. I turned around and saw dad lying on the ground begging for water. I lifted him up and tried to take him inside but he resisted. He told me everything that happened, handed me this revolver and died.

"I was very saddened by the loss of my father; I've never known my mother, she died when I was just a year old," she finished. "Well, I- I'm sorry," I said, and Ed nodded in agreement. "I guess we both have suffered losses, huh?" said Ellie, trying to fake a smile.

"Alright where should we go now?" I asked. "I don't know... where will we find survivors?" Ed responded. Ellie opened the sunroof and scouted for any surviving humans. "Definitely nowhere near here," she said pulling her head back.

"Wait-why is the fuel level so low?!" Ed questioned, pointing at the dial next to the speedometer.

"What the-I've never used the car and it was full on fuel a few days ago!"

"Well my friend, now you know why your maid smelled of fuel when she came out of the garage the other day."

"That mother f-she stole it!"