A Cigarette and a Beer

Author's note: Sorry for the wait! I hope you all enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jimmy's POV

Tommy pulled the pillow out from behind his head and pulled it down onto his face. He curled his fingers into the pillow and moaned into it. I was sitting on my bed with my legs stretched out in front of me. I was picking the dirt out from around my fingernails with my pocketknife and rubbing the blade on my jeans.

I wondered how many people are in the house. Was it just Steve or did he have a family in there? Was there anybody living in the garage with us?

"Jim," Tommy said into the pillow.

"What?" I asked.

Tommy flipped the pillow off of his face and turned to look at me.

"We can't trust these people," he told me.

"I know that," I said wryly. "I'm not stupid."

"Get into that house. See how many people are here and we'll come up with a plan."

I looked over at Tommy. We may not always get along, but we usually could read each other really well. At least I thought so until Tommy was planning on stealing Julie from me. I could see he was interested in her, but I never thought he'd try to kill her, especially since he got Carrie.

"I'll ask for something to eat," I said swinging my legs off of the bed.

"Get some pain medication too," he said.

"Some what?"

"Pain medication. You know those pills in bottles we'd see whenever we went into town."

"Get up and ask for it yourself."

Tommy scowled at me and I headed for the door. When I opened it up, laughter was ringing through my ears. Steve and another man was sitting on their back porch. Steve had a can in his hands and a cigarette between his lips. His eyes light up when he saw me and he waved me over.

I quickly my way up onto the porch. Steve gestured his arm out for me to sit down on a folding chair set up from across him. The other man's eyes were locked on me.

"Jim, this is Adam," Steve said. "He's the only other one staying here right now."

"I've heard lots about you," Adam said bringing his cigarette up to his lips.

"Want a beer, Jim?" Steve offered.

"No, we don't drink," I said.

"Cigarette? Or do you not smoke either?"

"No we don't."

Steve nodded his head and brought his beer up to his mouth.

"You need to live a little," he said before taking a gulp.

I faked a laugh and Adam joined. His arms were covered in tattoos. I could see a swastika poking out from the collar. I needed to figure out what those stood for.

I needed to question them like Dad had taught me to. I needed to make sure that I could take on whoever lived in that house. I'd have to kill them myself. Tommy would be no help.