Chapter Four

Morning sickness.

The root of all evil.

Shia was now officially two and a half months pregnant. Her morning sickness was no joke. She had it in the morning, afternoon, and evening. The toothbrush that she used was thrown out every three days.

Jamal was a huge help.

He made sure not to bring around foods that were smelly or made her nauseous. Also he bought her ginger ale and Ritz crackers. And whenever her head ached, he bought her ice packs and heat pads for her stomach. So she wouldn't take too many meds before getting her prenatal vitamins.

'What's the big deal anyways? I could go to this party for you and we can just tell them that you came down with the flu...' Amber whined as she saw how ridiculously pale the caramel skinned girl had gotten. She was trying to look out for her boss, and hopefully her friend, but Shia was not making it easy. 'I'm fine. I only need to lie down for a couple of hours.'

Amber shook her head as she saw how the other woman leaned forward on her desk.

She looked ready to pass out.

'Are you sure? Shia!'

The other woman had slumped forward and her breathing was coming out all weird. Amber checked her pulse as her hands scrambled to get a hold of the cell phone on Shia's desk. She hit the emergency button and was soon talking to an emergency call center.

'Okay, hurry! Yes, I can... She has no new health issues besides the fact that she's pregnant. I don't know...'

After practically panicking the door shot open and Jamal walked in holding up what seemed like some food. He hurried up to put the bags down when he saw Amber and an unconscious Shia on the floor.

'What happened?'

'She passed out and I called 911! They will be here any minute, but I was trying to give the lady more information.'

'Okay, what did you tell her?'

'I just told her that she is pregnant, her breathing is labored, and she's getting pale in the face. What else should I tell her?'

Jamal didn't know anything more useful then that but she had told him a little about how women in her family had miscarriages a lot. Maybe this was one of those...

Hopefully not.

After the medical services arrived, Jamal and Amber went to the hospital with her. He was allowed to stay in the room with her after she was stabilized.

The doctors confirmed that it was not a miscarriage, but it could have been. Her blood sugar was too low and was not at a proper level. So she was dealing with pregnancy related diabetes. It would have to be monitored carefully if she or the baby were to survive the whole pregnancy.

'I'm hungry.'

Shia woke up with a groggy feeling from the drugs in her system. She looked around and found that Jamal was holding her hand. He was staring out the window.

'Jamal, what's wrong?'

'Oh, you woke up! Nothing. Are you feeling okay? Do you need the nurse?'

He stood up with a look of concern. She shook her head as she pulled him back down. The gown was itchy and she felt like pulling out the needles in her arm, but other than that, she was fine.

'I need a kiss. And some food...' She joked as she turned up her lips for a kiss and gave him a cheeky smile when he gave her one. 'I brought you a salad. The doctor said you were fine just gestational diabetes. It's really early for that, but seeing your family's medical history put everything in perspective.' Jamal grabbed the salad with all the fixings and let Shia dig in as he answered his ringing cell.

'I'm fine. No, I'll be there. Dad, I said I'll be there. And I think I'm going to bring a guest.'

Shia raised a brow as she chewed slightly on some tomatoes and lettuce.

Was he really about to let her enter the Lyon den?