[35] Positive

~*~*~*~*~*~Cory's POV~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 35

            "Again, I am sorry for being a jerk," I said after Lily and I had a deep conversation on all the things that had been bothering us lately.

 "Cory, you had every right to act the way you did. I was the one who messed around with your feelings," Lily replied.

"But I have been messing with yours from day one!"

"I was fully aware of my actions though. Everything I did, I knew the consequence for... But what I did to you is unreasonable," she protested.

"I know the consequences to my actions as well Lily."

            She sighed. 

            I knew we were thinking the same thing.  This conversation was drifting closer to an argument again.

"I guess I got all mad because Jake got you. He got you a way I wanted to, and I thought I could get you back... But obviously your relationship was far more intimate," I said.

"About that-" Lily started but I interrupted.

"Just listen to me quickly. I know I have said this plenty times before but... Jake isn't all that he seems. He may seem nice and caring but you don't know him like I do. You don't see him the way I see him."

"Not this again Cory! For god's sake... Jake is amazing to me, and I like him because of it."

"But I don't want to see you hurt..." I whispered.           

"I don't want to get hurt," Lily mumbled, dropping eye contact.

            I took her small hands in mine and looked her in the eyes.  "Then don't," I said.

            "I... can't," she whispered.

            "Why?"

            "Because he's all I have."

            My gaze softened and I felt hurt that she felt that way.  I moved closer and placed my hands softly on each cheek.  "You have me..."

"But-"

"Is it because you had sex with him?"

She blinked twice in shock and said,  "What? No!"

"Do you love him?"

"Cory..."

I stood up and moved away from the couch and her.

Why doesn't she want me?  Do I really mean nothing to her?

"It's me, isn't it?" I whispered.

"Cory."

"Lily you know what... Forget it. Forget about us. Forget about anything I have said to you that may have some relevance," I said sincerely, knowing she and I were going nowhere.

"Cory, I didn't have sex with Jake!"

Did she just say...

I'm pretty sure she just said...

But she couldn't have?

But she did...

Multiple times I opened my mouth and shut it, not being able to find the right words to say that could express the hopeful feeling I now had.