Chapter Two: A really Confusing me

Chapter Two: A really confusing me

Eight hours, 12 minutes, and 43.2 seconds later, I heard stirring in the other room. But not my adoptive parents' room: no, it had to be my good for nothing step-brother Marcus.

I buried my head in the pillows and took deep breaths, feigning sleep. I hoped that Marcus wouldn't wake up feeling a bit "peckish" and eat my whole cake.

Unluckily enough, one minute and twenty-six point five seconds later, I heard the fridge open.

Deciding that Marc deserved a bit of confusion, I grabbed my Wavelength Disruptor built of an old car key, jimmied open the back, twiddled a few knobs and rewrote a couple circuits, then put the back on again.

I grabbed the new device and snuck down the stairs. I crept around the corner, luckily still undetected, and looked at Marc. He seemed to be examining the cake, wondering what to do with it. I nearly snorted with glee; I'd forgotten how dim he could be.

He finally decided to reach for a knife, but I took careful aim with my device and fired.

The knife stood on edge, looking offended. Then it swooshed through the air, causing Marc to squeal and duck, and embedded itself into the door.

He, poor dim-witted stepbrother of mine, reached for another knife, only to receive the same treatment after another aim. And another. And anoher. Finally, after he'd run out of knives, he stormed off to go watch some telly.

I packed away the cake and was about to return to my room when I pointed my device at the wall and, unable to reverse my desire to do so, monkeyed with the TV.

Then, laughing to myself, I climbed back into bed.

Three minutes, two seconds, and forty two milliseconds later I heard one of my parents stir. Too late I realized that the door would not be the same again after I had made the knives hurl themselves into it.

Agh. Well, I'd just let Marc take the blame.

I heard their bedroom door creak open and I rolled over on my side, taking deep breaths.

"Still asleep." I heard my dad say in a breathy whisper. I could hear my mum nod behind him.

They tiptoed downstairs, obviously trying not to awaken me. Of course, I heard them tiptoeing and I hoped to Rassilon I'd never need to sleep in this late.

I shoved my slippers onto my feet and stomped down the stairs, pretending to have just woken up. I stepped into the kitchen and announced myself with a yawn.

"M-m-morning guys!" I said.

"Morning yourself, Amelia!" greeted my mom, busily frying an egg.

I heard the mail slot open with a soft 'chink' and I went to get it.

Then I remembered the knives.

"Daaaad! You'd better come here!"I yelled, trying to sound worried.

I scooped up the mail lying on the mat and watched my dad come skidding around the corner.

I indicated the knives in the door and hurried off with the mail, dumping it on the dining room table.

"Mail's here!" I yelled. I then returned to the kitchen where my mother was just discovering the absence of knives.

"Where did all my knives go?!" she roared.

"Honey, you'd better come here." said my dad timidly.

"WHO DID THIS?!?!?!" she screamed, not bothering to hold back.

I went around the corner, looking timid.

"I just woke up, mum. They were there when I went to get the mail." I said, using my best innocent angel voice.

My mum patted my head, a bit harder than usual.

"I know it's your birthday. It couldn't have been you."

I hurried back around the corner and gasped. The cake! It would show I'd woken up earlier! I snatched it out of the fridge and tiptoed soundlessly upstairs.

I shoved the cake in the secret room under the closet and tiptoed back downstairs again, and stood in the kitchen, helping to fry the eggs.

When my mom came back into the kitchen I acted as though I'd been cooking the whole time.

"Thanks, Ame." she said.

I nodded, acknowledging the sentence. She only called me Ame when she was REALLY upset. Surely she wasn't this upset over a door?

"Amsterdam! You've got mail!" yelled my dad, addressing me in his silliest nickname for me.

I looked over at my mom, but she only gave me her "don't mess-with-me-young-lady" face, which always made me laugh, considering that I was older than she was.

I stepped lightheartedly out of the kitchen to join my dad in the dining room for thr opening of mail.

There was a thick, creamy envelope addressed to me in green ink. Intrigued, I tore it open.

"Dear Miss Amelia,"

I liked that part. I liked how they called me Miss Amelia. This was obviously a formal letter, I shouldn't have been surprised.

School wasn't exactly my favorite place, considering I already knew everything they taught and therefore was singled out as a nerd.

And all my real friends were probably dead.

I returned to the letter, feeling depressed.

"We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Term starts on September first.

Book list included.

We await your owl.

-Minerva McGonagall,

Headmistress"

I drew a long, low breath.

"Whaaat?" I gasped under my breath, thrusting the letter at my dad.

How could this be possible?