Chapter Six: Steam Scarlet and Chocolate

We returned from Diagon Alley and Hagrid left. The next twelve days past uneventfully.

I spent the twelve days till September first examining my books and my "extraordinary" wand.

Finally, September first rolled around. I had told my dad about the amazing experience and he believed every word.

In fact, he agreed to drive me to King's Cross station on the first.

Mom was more skeptical. She didn't believe me about Diagon Alley, but some proof was rock solid, like the letter. (Aroura was out, probably hunting.)

That was something she couldn't deny.

On the first, I was feeling anxious about school. I packed my trunk the night before, so I was sitting in the car with dad.

"So, Amelia." he said quietly. "I am driving you because you are a witch."

I nodded solemnly.

"I was a wizard, too. Mom doesn't know. I decided to become a muggle, or as much as I could."

"What's a muggle?" I asked, snickering.

"Non-magical people."

There was an awkward silence.

"When you arrive at the station, you need to get to platform 9 3/4. You do that by running at the barrier between platforms 9 and 10. " he said, breaking the silence like a crazy person with a sword in a room full of bubbles.

I nodded again.

"If you have any questions about the magical world when you get to Hogwarts, feel free to ask a professor or Hagrid." he concluded.

I leaned back, my arm resting on my trunk. There was silence again, so I pulled out one of my books.

About ten minutes later, my dad asked a delicate question.

"Amelia, did you know you were a witch before?"

I paused reading, pondering how to answer this question.

"I knew I was special. I did not know I was a witch."

There was silence again until we reached the station.

It was bustling full of people commuting all over the U.K. by train. My dad gave me a peck on the cheek and whispered in my ear,

"Remember- between the barrier of platforms 9 and 10."

Then he stepped back to the car and I dove into the throng.

Navigating through the horde was surprisingly easy. I just pushed my cart with my trunk and a caged, ruffled Aroura straight through the crowd and they parted like the Red Sea.

I quickly found the barrier between platforms 9 and 10. I screwed up my face, hoped my dad was trustworthy, and ran at the barrier.

I was prepared for a collision, but it never came. I opened my eyes.

I was on an even more crowded platform, this one full of strange pets. At the edge was parked a great big scarlet steam engine with the words "Hogwarts Express" and a crest with four animals and a big "H" in the center.

I lugged aboard my trunk and Aroura and hurried to find an empty compartment. I was early; the train wasn't due to leave for another five minutes, so finding a compartment wasn't hard.

I tossed my trunk up into the luggage rack, closed the door, and clicked the latch to Aroura's cage. Then I set it upright on the luggage rack so she could sleep if she wanted.