Chapter Thirty-four: The Prophecy

A/N: I don't know if I pulled this off... I definitely can't write prophecies. That is what I have learned.

Chapter Thirty-four: The Prophecy

I woke up in the early morning, in bed in my dormitory, and I knew something was wrong. Something was off.
I tried to ignore it, but it was like all of my internal alarms were going off, blaring, "Wee-woo! Something's wrong! Wee-woo!"
I groaned and rolled over to stare out the window. Watching the sun rise over the school never got any less beautiful. The one moment between the night and the sunrise, where everything is still and silvery and magical, is, in my opinion, the best time of day. If I had to freeze a moment in time, I would choose this moment. Then the moment passed and the sun rose and Eleanor began to stir.
Then I realized- I held my breath and listened carefully.
One inhale. One exhale. One inhale. One mumble.
Imogene was gone.
I jumped into action, throwing open my compartment door and then the little genius'.
Sure enough, the bed was neatly made and unoccupied.
"Eleanor!" I yelled, hoping to rouse the girl from sleep. "Get up! Important thing!"
She blearily poked her head out of the door.
"What?" she muttered, rubbing her eyes and yawning.
"Imogene's missing!"
"Relax, she's prob'ly just awake a'reddy."
"She wasn't here all night. Come to think of it, when was the last time you saw her?"
Eleanor shrugged.
"Breakfast yesterday?"
"Same here..."
I shrugged on my robes and bustled out the door, intent on informing the Headmistress that I thought Imogene might be missing. I was halfway down the stairs leading up to Ravenclaw tower when I realized I was wearing my slippers. I scrunched up my face, then made a snap decision and yanked them off my feet. I made to stuff them in my pocket, but my fingers closed around something cold and pointy. My Device!
I drew it and replaced it with my slippers, taking the stairs two at a time, the cold stone stinging my bare feet. I took off at a brisk trot to the Headmistresses, fidgeting with the Device. Maybe, if I adapted the scanner, I could get a life form reading and find the missing kids... I adjusted a couple wires with my teeth, but I didn't have any solder to affix them. Maybe I could just hold them- I pressed the button and waved the device around.
After a minute, it chirped, "Alien life forms detected."
I slowed to a walk. One alien detected was one thing. Hello. But two hundred and forty-seven? That's a very different story.
I placed the Device in my other pocket as I drew near the guard Gargoyle.
"Ginger newt," I said flatly. The gargoyle appeared to awaken and glared at me for disrupting its "beauty sleep", but moved aside. I hurried up to McGonagall's door and knocked.
I stood there impatiently for several minutes, jumping up and down on the icy cold floor, before she answered the door in a robe hurriedly pulled on over a tartan nightgown.
"Well, hello, Amelia. I can't say I was expecting you."
I got right to the point. "I think Imogene's been taken."
McGonagall pursed her lips.
"Ah."
We looked at each other for a minute, and then she waved me inside.
"Please, come in. There's... something I should really tell you."
"Is it about the prophecy? I've been really wondering about that prophecy."
"Yes, in fact, it is. I have no right to keep it from you, as you're a few years my elder, and let me tell you, that is a feat to be proud of," she smiled slightly. I took a seat in the rigid chair and watched her inquisitively as she drew a large stone bowl from one of the many cabinets.
She set it on the desk and I got a short glimpse of the swirling, silvery liquid inside before she gave it a sharp rap with her wand and a young man appeared.
"One of the students here, several years ago, came to me in the early morning, much as you just did. He told me that one of his dorm-mates had "gone all funny" and "chanted something weird". I pressed him for details, and found one of our very own Hufflepuffs to be a rather gifted Seer. But to the point," The boy in the bowl began to speak, sounding as though he was reciting a memorized line.
"When the quintet is broken by an unexpected foe, the school will reach a new hour of darkness... One will be born in the ashes of war... Aided by the yearning companion and the boy in the tall shadow and the confidant of the secret deepest hidden... The school will stand as the One will fall... One who is born in the ashes of war will face the great enemy once more..."
I gazed at the ceiling for a moment.
"Mmm. So I'm the One, aren't I. I've always wanted to be a One."
"I- have my own interpretation of the meaning, but I believe that it would be wisest to leave that to you. My word of advice- don't go out and try to force it to happen. It will happen on its own time. Just be ready to meet it when it does."
I nodded.
"All right. Now I really must get changed. I'll inform the staff of the girl's disappearance promptly. Go down and have breakfast with your friends."
I knew a dismissal when I heard one, so I stood and gave an awkward little head now as I let myself out of her office and hurried down to breakfast.
I took a seat at the mostly empty Ravenclaw table and helped myself to some toast, going heavy on the butter. There was never enough butter in the world.
I gave a huge fake yawn as Eleanor sat down next to me minutes later. She looked exhausted, much worse than she had when she woke up.
"Okay there?" I asked. She pursed her lips.
"Not really. I need tea. Are you... not wearing shoes?"
I grimaced.
"I forgot my shoes. In the dormitory."
I stood up and brought over the teapot. She smiled wanly and poured herself a cup of steaming tea, which she gulped down without milk or sugar. I spotted Ari entering the room and waved him over. He nodded and started walking over, but before he reached us, a pale blonde boy in Slytherin robes swaggered up and intercepted him.
"Morning." Ari muttered.
"I'm your brother, can't you address me as one?"
He tried to push past him.
"You're not my brother."
"Tsk tsk, work on your manners, smart one."
"Shut up."
"And the little RAVENCLAW disgrace can't even take an insult! Oh dear."
"I said, SHUT UP!"
"Aries, keep your voice down."
Ari glared, his hand gliding down to where his wand poked out of the pocket of his robes.
"Oh, going to duel me, are we? Little boy tongue-tied thinks he can beat me!"
"TARANTALLEGRA!" Ari yelled, and Scorpius' legs broke into a dance. "RICTISEMPRA!" He broke into laughter. Ari raised his wand again, but this time Scorpius was ready. "PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!" he wheezed. Immediately, Ari's arms snapped to their sides and he fell to the floor, frozen like a board. Scorpius, hunched over with laughter, gasped out, "Laughing- now- are- we?"
Professor Flint ran over, finally interrupting the disturbance.
"Ah! Dueling!" she swished her wand at the two and Scorpius stopped laughing- and dancing- gasping for breath. Ari came to on the ground, looking dazed. "You two, come with me!"
Ashamed, Ari followed his brother, who in contrast kept his head held high and strutted along like being in trouble was the best thing in the world.

"Wow," I said quietly.
"Malfoy," Eleanor supplied, like the single world explained everything.