Chapter Seventeen: KEWLNESS

"...and so, Wingardium Leviosa is the first spell you will be attempting today!" I slipped from a daze as Professor Flitwick's voice chirruped at the end of his lecture.

"Does anyone know the wand movement for our Levitating Charm?"

I felt an eager bubble rise inside of me, but I forced it down. I raised my hand, doing my best to be nonchalant.

I had read, in some book I had encountered somewhere, that 99 of 100 people didn't find perky, chipper, intelligent people cool. And those same 99 people wanted to be friends with cool people. Correction- peepz. Kewl peepz. Because that is what Kewl dawgs say.

"Miss-" Flitwick paused, looking down at the register with a frown. "Er, Miss Anonymous?"

"It's- it's Amelia, sir!" I said, my voice painfully high. Not cool. I coughed. "Just Amelia," I added in a very deep voice. Cool.

Slimy Dalek snickered, prodding his cronies.

"The proper wand movement for the spell is- uh, swish n' flick," I replied, doing my best to crush the perky, chipper, 'I'm so excited about LEARNING!' voice.

"Yes, that is correct, Miss A- Miss Amelia. Would you care to demonstrate?"

"I sure wou- I mean, I can if you want me to."

"Please do."

I picked up my wand, rolling it between my fingers. I gripped it in a fist, with my thumb resting on top, and moved it in a graceful swishing arc before snapping it down.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" I did my best to command the feather to rise.

It feebly fluttered up into the air, less than a foot from the desktop, then fell back down.

Slimy Dalek was holding in a guffaw. I wanted to stand up with a dramatic flourish and hex his stupid little face before-

I stopped myself mid-plot. Be cool.

"Wingardium LEVIOSA!" I said with more force. The feather drifted upwards, as if rising a stream of air, hovering tauntingly inches from my face for a second before plummeting again.

I could almost hear Flitwick make a 'tsk'ing sound.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Flitwick clapped his hands, grabbing all of our attentions.

Feathers rained down as the spellcasters' attention was diverted to the Professor. Books slammed shut before the words even escaped his mouth-

"Time to pack up! Class dismissed!"

The classroom erupted into a flurry of noise. I scooped up my books and dropped them into my satchel, which I slung over my shoulder. Imogene, grasping her wand, stuck to my side like glue as we passed through the waves of Slytherins.

When the crowd thinned, she spoke up.

"Why were you talking like that back there?"

"Like what?" I replied, intrigued.

"All- strange. With lots of slang and things."

"Oh- I was being COOOL!" I said heartily. "I was reading about COOLNESS last night! I read in a book somewhere that 99 out of 100 people want to be friends with someone cool!"

"Well, all of those 1 in 100 are here," she said, gesturing around with her hands. "And besides, 46% of statistics are made up on the spot."

I cracked a grin.