Chapter 6

"Sheriff Don's daughter?" Abby repeated

Maria nodded. "Over twenty-five years at least. It kind of gives me goosebumps knowing that I'm standing in the home that sweet little girl was murdered in."

"Who would do such a thing?" Abby asked.

"That's just it. They--"

"Maria, time to go," Chuck said before looking at Abby. "Wally's staying behind to help with the furniture people."

"Chuck, why are you always so rude?" Maria chastised.

He turned to Abby. "Sorry, but we've got to get back into town."

Joanie and Yvonne were standing behind him.

"Of course. Thank you all so much for your help. I wouldn't have been able to get everything done without you all." Abby hugged Maria and smiled at Chuck who was already making his way downstairs.

"Don't mind him. He didn't even want to come out here. I bet he's spooked about all the rumors that go on about this place," Maria confided in a low voice.

"Rumors?"

Chuck's voice called out for Maria again and she sighed before waving at Abby and trudging down the wooden steps that led to the first floor of the cabin. Joanie and Yvonne were right behind her. Abby wished she would have been able to get more information out of the gossiping women. It might have shed some light on the strange things that had been happening at the cabin. She touched her bracelet.

I can leave this creepy place soon as Mr. Carter arrives.

After everyone had left, Abby found herself alone with Wally who was in the storage shed, making sure everything would fit. He turned to Abby and smiled. "Hi Abby. I think if we angle everything just right, we should be able to get the items Mr. Carter wanted to be saved in here. The rest will go to the dump or charity."

"He told you what he wanted to be saved?" Abby asked, a little confused as to why he didn't give her the list. She was his assistant, not Wally.

Wally passed her a clipboard with a spreadsheet of the items Mr. Carter wanted to be saved. It was very specific which was unusual. Why would Alex Carter want to save the belongings of the cabin?

"Wow," Abby said as she handed the list back. "It seems as though he already made an inventory of everything."

"Yes. He had been out here for a while before he actually purchased the cabin. No one else had ever offered to buy this place before so we were all surprised when we heard Sheriff Don sold it," Wally admitted.

"So this cabin was Sheriff Don's?" Abby asked, hoping Wally would elaborate. She wasn't disappointed.

"It was. I figured he wanted to save the Sheriff's belongings in case he wanted them. It'd be a shame to toss em' out."