Chapter 29

"Just knock on the door," Jenny demanded, pushing Cletus forward

He had his camera ready to take a photograph if needed. He looked back at Jenny, his face clearly showing his second thoughts. "Are you sure this is a good idea?"

"Oh, you're such a wimp sometimes. Do you know that?"

Jenny leaned past Cletus and banged on the door. Moments later, it was opened by Abby Redding.

"What are you two doing here?" Abby only allowed the door to be opened a crack.

"Abby, who is it?" Alex called out from behind her.

"We were just hoping you two could give us an exclusive story." Jenny leaned forward on the door, trying to push it open.

"Excuse me?" Abby struggled to keep the door closed. "You two need to leave...now."

Alex Carter came up from behind Abby and opened the door. Jenny shot Abby a smug look before turning back to Alex.

"Mr. Carter, I see you're interested in telling your side of the story. We're more than happy to interview you on your new relationship." Jenny practically gagged at the last two words.

"Let me make this perfectly clear. I have no intention of speaking with either of you except to warn you that if you do not leave this property in the next two minutes, I'll have you both arrested for trespassing. Is that exclusive enough for you?"

Jenny and Cletus felt the door slam in their faces. Cletus caught Jenny's fist and shook his head. "Don't knock again. It's not worth it. They don't want anything to do with us."

"Well, that's too bad for them. I have a story to write and no one...not even the handsome Alex Carter is going to stop me."

"You want to destroy him but you're still calling him handsome?" Cletus shook his head. "You're a nut, Jenny."

Jenny slammed her fist against the door and shouted, "I know everything! I know how she murdered her ex-boyfriend. I know all about it!"

"Enough! Let's go before he really calls the cops." Cletus dragged Jenny away who was still cursing at Alex and Abby. Cletus drove them to Zachary Caldwell's grocery store where Chuck and Maria were in a deep conversation outside.

"I told you not to bring up the murder anymore." Chuck had his hands on his hips as he talked to Maria.

"I'm sorry Chuck. It's just that Abby wanted to know about it."

"What exactly did you tell her?"

Maria hedged a little, dragging the toe of her shoe into the dirt. "Well...not much. Not really. All I told her was that the cabin Mr. Carter bought had a bad history. That Sheriff Don's daughter had been killed there and that there were rumors it might be haunted."

"Not much? You call that not much?"

"Excuse me, but did I hear you two right? There was a murder in the cabin Alex Carter is now staying in?"