Chapter 12

"Picture albums, picture albums

"Picture albums, picture albums...where are the picture albums?" Abby poked at the different boxes in the storage room, a pen and the list in her right hand. She had gathered a few family photos and found a diary that was practically empty. She pulled at a box on the top shelf causing it to fall forward.

"Crap! Crap! Crap!" she shrieked as the contents fell on her. "Well, at least I found the photo albums." Abby groaned as she gathered the photos that had fallen. She stood up, her hands full, when she heard a low growl.

Abby froze. She hated dogs. Bryce had once told her that dogs could sense her fear which was enough to make them attack.

The growl became louder. More fierce.

"Puppy?" Abby called out softly thinking it might calm down if it heard a cajoling voice. "Here, puppy...puppy." She gulped down a knot of fear. Who am I kidding? That thing doesn't sound anything like a puppy.

She thought about running but knew she couldn't outrun a dog. She took a small step forward.

One growling dog now sounded like two. Abby heard a whimpering sound and pinched herself when she realized it was coming from her. She touched her beaded bracelet, forcing herself to think of something positive.

I am brave. I am not afraid.

She remembered Bryce mocking her when it came to animals.

"Abby, why are you so afraid of dogs? Do you think they're all going to bite you? Don't be stupid. They only bite if you provoke them."

A bitter feeling crawled its way into her heart as she remembered his scornful words. If she had been smarter, she would've recognized that Bryce was more dangerous than any wild dog she'd been afraid of. He never needed a provocation to strike.

"Doggie?" Abby called out. "Doggie, where are you?" Abby took another tentative step forward, clicking her pen into action just in case she needed to use it as a weapon.

Something strong suddenly knocked her to the ground. Abby screamed as she tried to fend off the two large dogs that were growling and nipping at her legs.

"She's here!" she heard a female voice cry out before a flash of light blinded her.

"Stop!" a male voice Abby recognized, cut through the air. "I'll call the police if you hurt Abby!"

"Wally?" Abby groaned. She opened her eyes to see the dogs were gone and three people were standing above her.

"Are you alright, Abby?" Wally asked, extending a hand to help her up.

"I-I'm fine." Abby looked around warily, looking for the vicious dogs. "Did they leave?'

"Did who leave?" Wally asked as another flash of light popped in front of her. The two strangers were standing in front of her, trying to take pictures with an old-looking camera.