Chapter 22

"Your father killed Crystal?" Abby felt for her blessings bracelet as she suddenly couldn't breathe

"Your father killed Crystal?" Abby felt for her blessings bracelet as she suddenly couldn't breathe. "How is that even possible?"

"If it wasn't my father, then the only other option is Don Caldwell." Alex sighed. "The truth is--"

The ring from Alex's cell phone filled the air. He gave Abby an apologetic shrug before pulling it out from the pocket of his pants and clicking the screen to answer it.

A voice spoke on the other end before Alex responded. "That's fine, Wally. I understand. The roads are too dangerous to pass over right now. Not a problem. If you can't get here neither can those reporters and that's all that matters. Yes...right. I'll see you tomorrow." Alex disconnected the phone. "Wally won't be spending the night here."

"I heard," Abby said softly.

"Listen, just forget what I said about my father. You're probably getting the wrong idea anyway."

"You said your father is a killer. What other idea can I get from that?"

Alex shook his head. "You're thinking of Dalton Carter, the founder of CallaTech."

"He isn't your father?"

"Biologically, he's my uncle. In every other way that it matters, he's my father. He and his wife couldn't have children so they adopted me. Maggie Caldwell didn't seem to mind."

"Maggie. Whatever happened to her? You said she's not dead. Where is she?" Abby took a few steps closer to Alex. "I feel like there are so many secrets I can't even keep up."

"The fact is that being adopted was the best thing that could have happened to me. Neither Maggie nor Lionel were very good people."

"Lionel? Is that your father? Your real father's name?"

"Biological father," Alex corrected. "Dalton Carter is my father."

"Right. But Lionel was your bio dad. What happened to him?"

"He was killed the night Crystal was murdered. There's so much that we don't know about what really happened. The only thing I do know is that Lionel Carter and Maggie Caldwell were having an affair." Alex ran a hand through his damp hair.

"None of this makes any sense. Why would your father kill Crystal and then who killed him? If it was Don Caldwell, why didn't he just get a divorce instead of killing someone?"

"It doesn't matter if it makes sense or not," Alex reminded her. "It doesn't change the past. The fact is twenty-five years ago my little sister and biological father were found murdered up here and my biological mother was found in a catatonic state. To this day she won't even speak with me because I remind her of him."

"That's-" before Abby could finish her sentence, they both heard a slamming door coming from upstairs.

"Here we go again," Alex muttered. He stomped up the stairs towards the door that was now shut. It belonged to the pink room.