Chapter 11

"That's a mighty big bump you have there, Abby

"That's a mighty big bump you have there, Abby." Wally shook his head in dismay as Abby was trying to pay for the groceries Alex had ordered her to buy. He had made a list that morning of everything he thought they would need over the next few days. Apparently, he thought they needed three boxes of Apple Jacks cereal. While she gathered the items to pay for them, Alex stood in front of the magazine rack near the register.

Chuck had his hip against the counter of the register with his wife, Maria, as she paid for their groceries.

"I heard you were in an accident," Chuck said. He was facing Abby but his eyes were on Alex who was skimming through a Forbes magazine, a look of disdain on his face.

Maria turned to Abby. "An accident? Chuck, why didn't you say anything? Joanie and Yvonne probably don't know either or they would've told me." She turned to Abby, her eyes flicking over her as if she were looking for bruises, and asked, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Maria. Thank you for asking."

"Are all the magazines here a year old?" Alex tossed the business magazine down and turned towards the register when a wheelchair blocked his path.

"The hunting magazines are all up to date. We don't get too many suits such as yourself up here in Bayless," Zachary Caldwell answered. His rough voice was dripped with derision. "I don't suppose you're interested in hunting though, are you? You seem like you read Health Magazine or Good Living. Maybe People."

A flicker of anger passed through Alex's blue eyes. Abby tensed as Alex gave Zachary an even smile. "Mr. Caldwell," Alex said in acknowledgment.

"I told you before, boy. Call me Zachary. I run this store and if you ever want a discount on your Apple Jacks cereal, it would be wise of you to be a little nicer to the locals."

"And I told you, don't call me boy."

Maria leaned over to Abby and whispered, "Zachary thinks he has a shot with your hot boss."

"What?"

"Maria," Chuck hissed, trying to stop his wife from spreading rumors.

"Is Zachary gay?" Abby asked softly, glancing at Zachary and Alex to make sure they didn't overhear.

Maria shrugged. "He's never dated a woman. Even before he had his accident and he sure does like to flirt with the male travelers that come through this town. Joanie said that's why he leaves town once a month. He's off to meet his hook-ups."

Chuck shook his head. "Maria, you don't know that for a fact. Everyone knows Zachary loves fishing. That's probably where he goes."

Maria rolled her eyes. "Sure, but has he ever brought back any fish? Talked about the fish he caught. Showed pictures of the fish he caught?" When her husband looked chagrined, she scoffed. "That's what I thought."