:: Attempt 01 | Angels Fall ::

"Sometimes I'm scared to look,

Afraid of the stories they'll tell;

Afraid that in those eyes,

Is a return ticket to hell."

-"Kaleidoscope Eyes" ["Prepare For Landing" Track 2; Adam Wilde]

(From "Where She Went" by Gayle Forman)

x + x

"You're weak."

Two words, spoken in a voice filled with evident spite brought humiliation upon the defeated girl. Her lower lip quivered; thick, crimson liquid dribbling down her jaw as she raised her clenched fists to defend herself - only too late.

The harsh blow of her master's right leg against tender flesh sent her careening across the mats, battered limbs futilely braced for traction. She struggled to stand, only to be sent to the floor as a fist collided with her cheek, painting the delicate skin an unsightly purple.

"Stand up, Aoi," 'Treis’ commanded; a single hand beckoning for her weakened student to get back to her feet. Aoi crawled to her knees; ragged gasps slipping past her chapped lips. It hurt, it hurt too much to be ignored. "You have disobeyed the very first rule I taught you; as such, this is but a fitting punishment."

The young girl swallowed thickly; bloodshot eyes staring into her teacher's unforgiving cobalt irises. "I’m sorry for my impudence, ‘Treis’." Her quaking timbres had yet to form a coherent sentence as of that moment, resulting in a hoarse, nearly inaudible whisper.

The woman’s mouth curled into a sneer as she sidled over to her collapsed trainee, a pale hand winding into the younger's fiery locks. With a quick jerk of her limb, she bent to look at the girl in the eyes.

"How many times have I reminded you, Aoi?" She chided, tightening her grip as the latter let out a tiny wince, "'Apologies are unnecessary, unneeded.' As well as revealing one's emotions so easily. Surely you know this well enough, correct?"

Wincing, Aoi imperceptibly nodded her head, only to be pinned to the floor with her arms folded behind her back, the blade of her teacher's signature chokuto [1] held up to her throat. Agony spiked through her bruised appendages as ‘Treis’ pressed the razor-sharp edge against her flesh. Upon her pallid skin, a minuscule slit formed, blood tarnishing the once pristine metal in a tiny rivulet.

"Rid yourself of any emotions, Aoi. An assassin must not display any feelings to another as they are considered weaknesses. Vulnerabilities. Do you understand?"

Pain flashed through the younger's azure eyes, only to be replaced with steely determination.

"I understand.”

'I promised, didn't I, Shu? I'll always be there to protect you - even if you don't want me to.'

x + x

< Hanazono Aoi >

“Of all people, why must it be the two of you?” I hold back a snarl as the latter twirls a lock of her recently dyed blond hair around her fingers. Her hair had grown out to a choppy platinum blond bob reaching just under her chin, something which I find rather out of character - along with her lack of piercings.  She smiles, amused at my question as she uncrosses her legs. Her companion simply sighs, offering an apologetic look.