:: Attempt 17 | Piece of My Heart ::

"You're standing there in the corner,
That tired look in your eyes;
You're like a lamb to the slaughter & now you're running out of places to hide.
To cover up all the scars you're biting down on your tongue,
More than a million ways to bleed this out but you're running from the air in your lungs."
- "Piece of My Heart" by Mallory Knox

x + x

The minute his name leaves her lips, it's all he can do to look at her directly, into those azure eyes which reflect his seemingly "calm" visage.

She purses her lips as he walks even closer to the group, bypassing the two whom he is certain belonged to the End Class. He halts right in front of her, narrowing his eyes as a voice—male, speaking somewhat rapidly in English, no less—emanates from the phone within her grasp.

"What are you doing here?" Aoi questions, her tone clipped and to the point. Gakushu looks down at her, resting an arm against the tree she leans against as he bends forward in order to look directly into her eyes.

This close, he can barely discern the amount of steel in her gaze, covering up the sheer amount of surprise and pain within the cerulean irises. She stares back with an equal—if not more—amount of frigidity, thoroughly ignoring the curious stares he is sure they are receiving from their "audience". (He vaguely registers the noise of one Nakamura Rio whispering excitedly to the passive-aggressive brunette he remembers to be always tagging along with Aoi. He simply ignores them, filing away their chatter to 'Non-Important' in his mind's perception.)

"—Oi! Aoi, are ya' still—"

Without any words being said, he swiftly pries the gadget from her hand, glancing at the screen before he presses it up against his own ear. Her stare turns into one of blatant hatred as he shifts his hold.

"If it isn't much to ask, can you state your name and the reason as to why you're calling my girlfriend?"

The silence stretches on for a good half of a minute, a pause to be heard from the other line as he glances down at the apathetic redhead still seated by his feet. She stares back, annoyance and apprehension slowly making themselves apparent with her evident displeasure.

And as they continue to lock gazes, measuring each other's reactions, he can't help but notice the nagging feeling inside of him. Is there something about her and this guy that she's keeping a secret?

"Oh, so it's you, the asshole boyfriend." The voice replies, a tinge of sarcasm within his words. "Nice ta' meet ya', I'm your worst nightmare."

'Worst nightmare'? Has this boy watched too many dramas?

He furrows his brow, his lips turning downwards into a frown. "I seem to have heard you wrong. Can you repeat what you said?"

A low, somehow mocking chuckle resounds from the phone. "Man, so ya' aren't just a stuck-up prick, you're also deaf."

Gakushu scowls, clenching his fingers around the sleek surface of the gadget. "Are you mocking me?"

"Ya' finally noticed. Took you a while, didn't it? Need a round of applause for that?"