Quiet

Pushing aside my worry, I managed to make it through my first four classes without incident. I knew the other kids had noticed my collar, but after a few unpleasant smiles from me, they thought it was best to just ignore the fact that I was a possible cross-shifter. Come lunch I was starving, but I doubted my stomach would be able to handle much. Deciding to just grab something small even though I had free lunches, I got an apple and tried to dodge the crazy lion brothers. Unfortunately, I had absolutely no luck in that venture.

Before I could even take a bite of my lunch I was being dragged over to a table that reeked of predators. Most of them were obviously lions judging from their facial hair, but a few, I noticed, had mowhawks like hyenas and cackled just like them.

Perfect.

"Hey guys, this is Paws. He's a dog cross-shifter." Jared said as he wrapped his arm around my neck and tugged me against his side. "He's under our protection, so no jumping him in the locker room, got it guys?"

The group grinned, but I wasn't convinced that they were all smiling and not baring their teeth. I had  very bad memories of locker rooms and other males. Throughout lunch I felt eyes on me, lingering repeatedly around my neck over my actual face. Needless to say, after one bite of my apple, I decided against eating anymore. After lunch ended I went to my other two classes, surprised to see neither of the twins in either of them. Several of their scruffy friends were there, but thankfully they seemed to have taken the twin's warning with a grain of salt and didn't bother me.

"Finally!" I nearly shouted as I ran down the stairs outside of the front doors. My arms were weighed down with books and I had a ton of homework and reading I needed to catch up on during the week, but I made it through my first day!

"Sam!"

Hearing Richard's voice, I quickly located him in the crowded parking lot and climbed into his car. Coda was immediately set in my lap once I had my books and bag on the floor.

"Hey you! Were you a good boy?"

My son barked, wagging his tail excitedly before cleaning my face with his tongue. Richard got us headed home while I cooed to my boy, answering questions from Jess in the backseat about school every once in awhile. When they got inside after Richard parked Jess tossed her clothing and shifted. Immediately Coda howled to get down, making me set him on the floor before he stumbled after Jess's bear.

"So, how was your first day? I hope you didn't have any problems with those lion twins again, I can smell them on you."

For some reason I couldn't keep myself from blushing at that information. I felt bad, though why, I didn't know. "It was okay. Thankfully nothing bad happened and the twins were surprisingly reserved."

"I'm glad," Richard replied with a tired smile. I saw his bear peering through his dark eyes and quickly stepped into him. His arms wrapped around me automatically, squeezing tightly as his bear let out a few grumbles through his human mouth. Leaning back in his arms, I looked up at him, raising a brow. "What was that---fmph!" The kiss was shocking and sudden. I didn't even consider trying to pull away though, especially considering that Richard was growling and clawing at my back. When I only kissed back slightly, he pulled away and stepped back. "I'm sorry. I, my bear." Richard's cheeks reddened slightly as he ran a hand through his messy hair. "You should probably go change out of those clothes."

He mumbled his words before walking away, making me stare after him with my mouth dropped open. He's jealous of the lions just having their scent on my clothing?

I was curious, but I also didn't want to set off his bear's instincts, so I quickly made my way to Richard's room and stripped, then tugged on a pair of pants, followed by one of Richard's shirts. It was too big, but knowing that he was a bit frustrated, I figured wearing something with his scent on it would be better than grabbing another of my own shirts. When I was content I padded into the kitchen, finding Richard stirring a boiling pot of macaroni.