Sammy

Sam-

I had that damned cone on my head the next morning. Richard had gone to pick one up before going to work since I nearly chewed open my sutures during the evening. Now I was home alone, the kids having gone with Richard so that I didn't have to get up much. He was due back home in the next half hour or so with dinner, making me restless. Eventually I forced myself to my feet and limped outside to relieve myself since I couldn't even contemplate lifting my leg high enough to use the toilet.

Thank god he left the back door open a few feet.

As I was settling back down I heard the front door's lock click, then open. Jess and Coda were the first to come inside, darting around the living room several times before Coda settled down next to me with a furiously wagging tail. I gladly got busy cleaning his fur with my tongue as he squirmed around on my front legs.

Hello, Sam.

Hearing Richard's tired voice in my mind, I turned my attention back to the door as he walked inside and closed it. When I finally got a look at his face I gave a quiet bark, making him grin.

"I'm okay, just exhausted. Your parents decided to stop by my work, by the way."

Wonderful. Did your bear get their socks?

"Almost, actually. He remembered me saying that and was really hard to hold back. That's part of my exhaustion, honestly." He grumbled, shaking his head as he walked into the kitchen and began making dinner from what I could hear.

What did they want this time?

"They wanted to know why you didn't go to school today."

Why am I not surprised they have access to my school records?

"Because you're smart. God, those people are disturbing. Anyways, I told them the truth. You should have seen their faces! They didn't expect you to do what you did. They thought you'd make yourself suffer or even have another kid so that they could steal Coda away from you."

I grunted and licked the top of my pup's head. He had settled down and was now snoring quietly, curled up between my front legs.

"Well, since that's obviously not going to happen now, at least the way they had planned, they might get more serious. Maybe even finally take us to court."

Whatever. He's my baby and I'm his mother. Now that I won't have such bad heats and can't get pregnant, there's no way they can take him.

"Yeah, but we need to be careful anyways. By the way, how are you doing?"

A little better. I still hurt but after that big breakfast this morning I feel much better than I did after the surgery. The meds have helped, too.

"Good, and your heat?"

If I were in my human form I would have blushed as I flopped my head down next to Coda's.

I still feel it, but it's no where near as bad. I can ignore most of it pretty easily now.

"That's great. You were really worrying me with it. I'm glad that you can now have relief and rest."

I agreed, letting my eyes slip closed as I listened to him set a pot on the stove and start chopping up something. Probably meat. Every few moments I felt myself slip off to sleep, only to wake up again when I heard him or Jess moving about.

"Hey Sammy, dinner time."

Blinking my eyes open, I grunted and forced my head to lift so that he could slide my dinner plate closer. It was stacked high with chicken along with a small pile of blended meat on the side of the plate. Coda awoke when I did, realizing that it was dinner time. Instead of going for the meat like I hoped he might, he tried to get beneath me to a nipple.