Final

Richard-

Waking up to the shrill alarm clock made me growl and reach over Sam, who was cuddled into my arms, and drop my fist down a bit too hard onto the off button. The clock made an odd buzzing sound for a moment before silencing.

Probably just broke another.

Forcing my eyes open, I ignored the flickering light of the clock. Probably just knocked whatever does the light in it loose. Instead, I looked down at Sam, asleep in my arms even after that annoying alarm had gone off. He was making little grunting sounds every time he exhaled.

Doggy snores. Cute.

I had no doubt that it was likely because of us being up late to clean after everything else we've had to deal with since his parents stepped back into the picture. But today, that will all change. Grinning to myself, I leaned forward and kissed his wet nose. It twitched, making his whiskers move slightly.

"Sammy..." I cooed near his floppy ear. It twitched, along with his whiskers.

"I'm going to eat the last bite of ice cream you've been saving."

There was silence for a long minute before a groggy voice grumbled in my mind. I will end you. Considering he didn't even budge with the thought, I smirked and pushed myself up just enough to rub his belly. He rolled over almost instantly, accepting the attention while at the same time, stretching.

"We need to get up, fluff-butt. The vampires, I mean lawyers and your parents, are going to be here in about an hour." I said as I scratched him just beneath his chin.

When I stopped scratching his paws jerked up, grasping my arm playfully. I gave him another quick belly rub, but then made myself climb out of bed. After stretching out my own tired body, I turned and glanced down at Sam. He had gotten out of bed, but still looked about ready to pass out again.

"I need a serious shower. Can you go check on the kids and get them up?" I asked.

He yawned, then grumbled as he sauntered out of the room and toward their slightly ajar door.

"Thanks." I said, even though he hadn't technically answered.

I headed for the bathroom, getting the shower ready and hopping in once I stripped out of my clothing. The water was cool, not quite heated up yet, but I didn't mind. It actually felt pretty good on my overly-warm skin. By the time I finished scrubbing myself and stepped out, the water had gotten to be nearly scalding.

After relieving myself, a brief glance in the mirror as I washed my hands, and a quick tooth brushing, I hurried back to our bedroom and dressed. When I came out into the kitchen Jess was just putting the small container of meat I'd cooked for Coda away. She wasn't tall enough to use the microwave to warm it, but considering that the pup was digging in and nearly done, I figured that he would be fine with the cold food for this morning.

"Hey girl," I said as I knelt, arms open. Jess ran right into them and I scooped her up as I straightened.

"Thank you for feeding your little brother. I appreciate it."

She wrapped her arms around my neck and pressed a kiss to my cheek. "You're welcome, Daddy."

Grinning, I walked over to the counter and set her down on it, then turned to the fridge and took out milk, eggs, flour, sugar, and chocolate chips.

"Pancakes!" Jess yelled excitedly, kicking her bare feet against the lower cabinets.

"Yup. Big day today, so we'll need our energy." I said as I began mixing the batter, then cooking. Jess got the first one, then I put three on a plate and set them down on the floor for Sam after adding some syrup.