What Goes On

By the time Monday morning came by again, I was put through thorough interrogation by Emily on the bus ride to school; she was bursting for information about Saturday with Paul.

Once we'd arrived at school, I'd had enough questioning for one day, and Emily was really only repeating the same questions over and over.

When the bus doors opened, and we hopped out, I managed to catch Paul's eye; he gave us a little smile and a wink, causing Em to squeal, gripping on my arm so tightly, I could almost see it losing its colour.

***

After second period passed, it came to my surprise to find Paul waiting outside my classroom. This was the first I'd properly seen him since Saturday.

"Ready for French?" He asked, as though it were the regular thing for him to wait for me.

"I guess?" I laughed in bewilderment.

***

As per usual, in French, Paul and I learnt nothing at all. I was surprised we'd yet to be caught as we were always giggling the hour away. But it was one thing the teacher said that caught Paul's attention.

"And so class," said Miss Beaumont. "If you would kindly pair yourselves up, I'd like to set you an assignment together-"

"What do you say Michelle?" Whispered Paul hopefully, interposing on what the teacher was yet to explain, his doe eyes staring right through me. "Pair up with me?"

"I say you let the teacher finish first maybe?" I laughed. "So we actually know what we're meant to do for the assignment."

But Paul wasn't bothered. He continued to watch me, his lips curling at the ends into a smile, making it hard for me to focus on whatever it was the teacher was saying. My mind seemed more attentive towards Paul's breathing in my ear, than to what the teacher was trying to explain.

"Alright fine." I sighed, giving in once again. Paul, having obtained his desire, redirected himself towards the board, a triumphant smile upon his countenance.

"So do you want to get started soon?" He whispered from the corner of his mouth, his eyes still focused on the board, making us appear more inconspicuous. "You can come round to mine on Friday."

"Paul, I can't." I said, watching his face drop from the corner of my eye. He was as disappointed if I was to be quite frank.

"Why not?" He asked disappointedly.

"Mother told me yesterday were off to visit the family this weekend."

He didn't seem as upset after mentioning this. Instead, he straightened his posture, and turned towards me again.

"So you managed to plan a visit then, ay?" He smiled, twirling my ponytail through his fingers.

"Family or not, I'm still not looking forward to the journey." I pouted, resting my chin in my palms.

"Oh forget that." He said. "You'll have forgotten all about it when you set eyes on your relatives. You know you miss them a lot."

"True I suppose." I sighed.