Devil In Her Heart

After having the entire night to reconsider things, due to John's perspective of things, I realised he was right (as per usual). If I cared about Paul, his happiness had to come before my selfishness.

"I need to be supportive of his relationship." I told Em early on the bus the next morning, having not mentioned my previous discussion with John.

"So you've finally admitted to your feelings?" She smiled smugly.

"What does any of that have to do with this?" I argued defensively.

***

We were warmly greeted by the teddy boys once departing from the bus, all except Paul, who stood behind them all, keeping quietly to himself.

"Shellie!" Sniggered John, embracing me in a scornful hug. Which didn't bother me as much as it usually would; it was just nice to see him back to his usual self again, unaffected by yesterday.

Once John loosened his grip, I pushed my way through Pete and George's broad shoulders, surprising Paul with a amicable hug. Nestling my face into his cool jacket, as I wrapped my arms around him firmly.
He stood there motionlessly, taken very aback for a while, concerning me, until he finally began to hug me back.

It felt sensational to embrace in a warm, Paul hug, as I hadn't received one in almost two days, which was a new record, and I think the feeling was mutual, as he squeezed me tightly.
Two days may not have seemed like much, but for Paul and I, it was like an eternity, as we were so used to each others company at a constant.

"I missed you." He whispered meaningfully in my ear.

"I missed you too." I smiled, never wanting to let go of him.

But he wasn't mine to keep.

"Alright you two." Snarled John, clapping his hands to gain our attention again.

Paul and I released each other, and began to laugh at ourselves awkwardly.

***

"So will you consider having lunch with us at lunch then?" He asked, as the five of us entered the school hallway.

"Sure." I smiled enthusiastically.

"Great!" Chirped Paul, before leaving with the boys for first period.

I watched as he disappeared around the corner, sighing in reverie, until I felt a brutal tug from behind.

"Ow!" I hissed. "What on earth-?"

Unfortunately, it was not anybody I'd hoped to have met anytime soon, and as I turned around, it was to face my worst nightmare.

It was Lizzie. And she didn't look too happy, like I'd seen yesterday.

"What do you think you're doing?" She barked.

"What do you..." I began, trailing off before finishing. I'd never seen her this way before, or even expected her to be anything like this. A girl of such angelic features and delicacy, was not at all so angelic in person. 

"Oh don't play dumb!" She snapped. "What do you think you're doing with my boyfriend?"

It stung to hear her use those words. I knew I'd have to get used to them, but there was no need for her to really emphasise them. Talk about the jealous girlfriend type.

"I know you two are close." She fumed, eyeing me suspiciously. "But you'd best back off, coz' I'm here now, okay pet?"

I nodded timidly, in hope she'd just leave. John may not have been intimidating, but she sure was. For someone with the face of an angel, she looked like she could just about bite my head off.

"And we both know pretty clearly," she spat. "That Paul loves me a lot more than you love."

She was obviously extremely satisfied with how badly it hurt me to hear her say those words, and though I tried not to show it, or believe it, it had to be nothing less of the truth.

"Now what have we learnt today dear?" She smiled deviously.

"That Paul doesn't care for me?" I squeaked. All I wanted was for her to leave me be, so I was willing to do anything she pleased for her to do so.

"And?"

"And that I shouldn't bother being around him?"

"Good, I'm glad we've cleared things up." She said, throwing her nose up in the air.

She might as well have just stabbed me in the chest then and there, because it surly couldn't have felt any worse than how I'd felt then.

She gave a haughty laugh, which was no surprise to me, as I must have looked simply pathetic. I suppose I should have just been glad that she was kind enough to humiliate me in private though.

"Now if you excuse me." She smiled. "Paul will be waiting for me in chemistry.'

And with another cold laugh from Lizzie, she left, leaving me feeling empty of emotion.

The happiness I'd felt with Paul a mere five minutes ago, never felt so far, as any tiny shred of joy had been obliterated.