Chapter 14

Luna's POV

I can tell that Nero is completely freaking out now and I seriously don't know what to do to calm him down. This is going to end badly...

"Nero, calm down. Remember what I told you? You need to control your rage. You can't go in full devil trigger mode right now! You gotta control it!" I desperately try to tell him.

"I CAN'T" The answer I get is a terrifying growl.

I can already see a blue shape manifest behind Nero.

"Dante, do something!" I scream at my friend.

"And what? Kill him? The only way to stop him right now is to remind him of his human side. But what connects him to his human side? I don't know this kid, Luna. I can teach him control, but only if he actually listens and it's too late for that."

Suddenly, an idea pops into my head. The realistic, sane part of my brain is screaming at me that this is insane, but it's the only way. The blue devil trigger form has already manifested completely behind Nero and it's connected to his inner feelings. Nero is feeling threatened because he just found out that the Order is going to hunt him down. So the demon in him is doing everything to protect him – from everyone, no matter if friend or foe.

I rush towards the white-haired boy and dodge a blow from Yamato on my way. When I'm close enough to him, I speak a silent prayer that my plan will work. Then I grab Nero's face with both of my hands and stand on my tiptoes to reach up to him. In a second, I place my lips on his and kiss him with everything I've got. My eyes are closed and my lips move on his, desperately hoping for an answer. At first, Nero freezes and is as still as a statue, which in fact is kind of creepy. But finally, his lips go soft and respond to my touch. I open my eyes again and see the red glowing color fade from his. I pull away and take a step back, blushing heavily.

Nero was staring at me in awe. I think he's lost his voice in shock. My eyes move to the ground and all of a sudden, the little bugs moving over the forest ground seem so interesting...

"Umm... that was..." Nero rambles, searching for the right words.

"A way to remind you of your human side." I interrupt him quickly.

My heart screams at me that I enjoyed it, but I refuse to admit that. Nero just nods in agreement after a second and at that my screaming heart breaks a little. How can one nod of one boy have such a huge effect on me?

"So... what's the plan?" Nero asks.

We both look at Dante.

"Well... whether we like it or not – we have to destroy that demonic machine that Sanctus calls the 'Savior'. So even though it probably only sounds like a good way to get ourselves in big trouble – and it probably also is – we have to go to the Order's headquarters."

Nero raises an eyebrow, then he motions in a particular direction.

"Headquarters are this way."

With that, Nero takes the lead, showing us the way. Dante moves closer to me and glances at me. I frown after the tenth time, I caught him staring.

"What?" I ask him, annoyed.

"You like him. That kiss meant something."

"It was meant to remind him of his human side." I say dryly, even though it sounds more like I'm trying to convince myself, which also is the case for real.

"Try to fool yourself, but you can't fool me. I can tell that you wanna do it again."

"Shut up, Dante." I respond roughly.

"Someone's in love." He only chuckles.

"Leave me alone." I growl.

"Fine." Dante laughs and quickly catches up to Nero.

He can't be right. I can't be in love. Love is something that isn't meant for me – for anyone with the life of a demon slayer. Love makes you weak and love makes you vulnerable and love puts your loved ones in danger. Love is a luxury that I just can't afford. I am not in love. I am strong and I don't need anyone else in my life. I don't need anyone because in the end they either abandon you, leave you or die on you. I don't want to let anyone in, who will only hurt me in the end. Besides, everyone knows that a son of Sparda – or in this case grandson of Sparda – only brings trouble. And trouble is something I already have more than enough.

Sorry that this is a late update but I was on vacation for a week so you had to wait. But I have some new ideas where this could lead...

Enjoy. Vote. Review.

Thank you!

-M