deplorable

After school was over that day, for once my priority had not been Phil. I had to go back to work, and while most of me would have liked to walk home with him and possibly get some answers, getting money for my family was more important.

It was cloudy now, the wind quite violent as I realized the weather might end up as bad as yesterday's while I headed down the street opposite from mine, rubbing my arms since I had been dumb enough to not bring a jacket to school. My black short sleeve shirt wasn't doing much to help me, except for the parts that were covered although the chilled air still seeped between the fabric and caused goosebumps to appear all over my skin. I tried to cheer up my mood by attempting to get to work faster so that I wouldn't be caught in a storm, not focusing on my problems, but during a walk to my job, I couldn't help but feel incredibly deplorable.

The questions of this morning were still drifting through my mind, although much slower and less confusing now that I was surrounded by a more mollifying atmosphere. Luckily, time seemed to be going slowly so I was holding myself back from stressing about being late since I had time anyway.

I walked into the slightly more familiar bookshop once again, uncrossing my arms as I was met with a warm gust of air that smelled like coffee. I headed further inside, eyes searching for any sign of life.

At the counter I was met with a boy; he seemed to be about my age and had curly hair sticking to his forehead, relatively similar to Troye's at school. He was wearing a light blue sweatshirt, his gaze focused on the book in his hands since he hadn't noticed my presence yet. He looked up when I took another step, however, a bright smile immediately enveloping his features as he shut the literature beneath him.

"Hi!" He greeted loudly, "Are you Dan?"

I nodded, the grip on my bag strap tightening slightly, although there was absolutely nothing hostile or unwelcoming about him.

"The boss told me about you, I'm PJ," He introduced himself, standing up and coming around to my side of the counter instead of awkwardly remaining on the stool. "I'm the newest employee. Well, and the only one besides you. I work today and the days you have off," PJ explained.

I reached for a random piece of paper that had been sitting on the desk, pulling a pen from my shirt pocket. You look like you're in highschool, where do you go? I wrote, genuinely curious as to how come I had never seen him around even if I'd lived here all my life.

"Different town, homeschooled. I live just down the road now, at my own place. I graduated about two years ago." He told me, and I lifted an eyebrow, slightly impressed. "I work at a grocery store a while down as well; an apartment on your own isn't as easy to manage as one would think it is." I nodded in agreement, although I personally had no idea. I only knew how hard it was to keep a house, even if I had both me and my mom working now. But owning an apartment on your own and probably a car too; that must have been hard.

"Anyway, I've only been here for about twenty minutes. No one's come in yet, but that could change. Why don't you sit here? I'll go find something to organize," He babbled, walking away from me quickly as if he didn't want to converse with me, but I had a feeling it was only because he was one of those people that can't stay in one place for too long since they have too much energy.

He was gone for hours after that, the time filled with customers here and there, but nothing relatively interesting. My sketchbook was splayed on my thigh and I interrupted my drawing of a horizon to get up and actually find out where PJ went when I realized my shift was over. It had gone a lot quicker than I'd expected, but I was slightly glad since I could go home and check to see if Phil was there.

Oh.

A sudden fear hit me then, like a semi truck that had been waiting for me behind a corner and as soon as I'd stepped near it it was slammed against me. What if Phil had tried again?