proximity

I actually was beginning to feel the Christmas spirit.

Most of this was because of Phil; he was the one going to his house and taking Christmas sweaters and we combined some work money to buy lights and a cheap little tree. We also spent the rest of our money on food that we could actually eat, which was a really exciting upgrade. We were completely broke now, but holiday pay was on it's way.

It was genuinely easy to forget any bad thoughts I'd normally have this time of year as long as Phil was with me. Like I'd said a long time ago, he was so easily bright that I couldn't help but smile whenever he said a bad pun about snow or laugh every time he dropped something like the dork he was. We remained in close proximity most times; it wasn't like there was any reason for either of us to go off and do something on our own anyway.

I did wish our families were secure enough for each of our Christmas's to be separate and spent with relatives, but I also wouldn't hope for this holiday to differ in any way.

It wasn't Christmas yet, exactly, but it was Christmas Eve and it was eight at night, so I figured it was close enough.

"I don't care when we go to sleep, but if it's past midnight we should open presents," Phil told me and I agreed, mostly because I didn't care all that much. "Is Adrian coming home tonight?"

"No," I informed him, as I'd received a text only earlier about the subject. I guess in my family nobody cared about sticking together.

He nodded and didn't continue speaking about my family. "Oh!" He exclaimed suddenly, excitedly, turning towards me with shining eyes. "Martyn texted me! He's coming with his wife tomorrow to go out to lunch with us for our 'Christmas dinner'."

"Oh, that's nice," I replied, happy that I would get to meet Phil's brother. Plus, he spoke sign language so I wouldn't have to worry about talking all that much. "But what places are open on Christmas day?"

Phil shrugged, "He said he knows of some cafe out of town that's open 24/7 and apparently they make the atheist there work on Christmas. Interesting, to say the least." He laughed and I joined in, shaking my head and standing up to walk into the kitchen.

"What are we eatin-" I began to ask but then my phone started vibrating against my thigh from where it was in my pocket. I fished it out and looked at the caller ID. "One second, it's PJ," I called out to Phil and pressed the green button before holding the device up to my ear. "Hey, buddy."

"Buddy?" He asked, voice loud and clear through the speakers. "Since when do you call people that?"

"Since now," I replied, wishing he could see me rolling my eyes. "What's up?"

"I just wanted to say Merry Christmas. I know it's not tomorrow yet but I'm gonna be busy all day so I figured I'd do it now. What are you guys doing?"

"At the moment we're trying to decide what to eat," I explained, scanning the fridge, "and tomorrow Phil's brother is visiting."

"Fun!" He exclaimed excitedly as if it actually was exciting, although he did sound distracted. I heard some fumbling and then PJ said, "Sorry, I have to go, see you at work!" The call ended.

That was weird, I thought in my head, returning my full attention to the food rather than whatever my friend had been doing.

Phil suddenly appeared beside me, some tinsel in one hand and a mug of hot chocolate in the other. "Have you decided yet?"

"We have burgers, pasta, and pizza. You choose."

"Healthy," He muttered with a slight grin on his face. "I vote pasta."