Chapter 18: I Will Have War

Linshara sat on the broken battlements, crosslegged, meditating. She was tasked with keeping watch that night while the dwarves took council. It had been over a day since she arrived and many things have happened. Refugees from Esgaroth had seeped into the ruins of Dale the previous night, Bard had come to try to reason with Thorin, to ask for the part of treasure that he'd promised them during the event she was out cold for.

It was clear to her that Bard had no knowledge of the effects of the Dragon Sickness, nor the Dark Side of the Force infused gold, he didn't know that the brave company was almost all at odds by now as it grew darker around them. Later on, an army of elves arrived. She didn't know where they were from but she sensed them different from the ones she'd met in Rivendell. But she felt the presence of the one who'd guided her through Mirkwood, so she assumed they had to be from there. Their minds had touched briefly and she knew him now as Thranduil, lord of the Mirkwood realm. He was so very different from Elrond and Galadriel, a lot more fierce and unchecked in his wisdom.

So the dwarves were refusing to hold up their end of the bargain, the elves and the humans were banding together to make them. Bard didn't want a war, she was sure of it, whereas King Thranduil...she wasn't all that sure about. To her it seemed he would order his army to march in an instant if it was only elves around, but he had a reputation to maintain. It wasn't until Gandalf arrived not too long ago that Linshara somewhat relaxed. Though they had not met, she could feel his mind brush hers. She briefly told him what had happened inside the mountain and he was as concerned as she was, promising he would be on the lookout for the Sith as well, though it was really her duty, to handle him.

It was in this state that Bilbo found her, carrying a long rope.

"They will not see reason, Lin." He grunted in frustration.

The poor Hobbit was at the end of his wit and strength, fighting off the overwhelming mentalities of the dwarves.

Linshara nodded, "I will deliver you down, you do not need the rope. Remember, do not let on about the gold taint or the Sith, they do not know, and it would only cause greater hostility on their end. We all want this not to come to a head."

Bilbo nodded. He looked at her for a moment before leaning in and hugging her on impulse. Being more or less the same height now, Linshara burried her face in his shoulder as she returned the hug.

"Stay safe my friend."

She could feel him nod into her shoulder. "Thank you, Linshara. For everything."

As they pulled back, the Jedi smiled and stood up, to allow him to climb to where she had been so she could deliver him down. "If it takes too long, stay with Gandalf, if they see you they'll not let you back."

Bilbo nodded, "I'm ready."

She held her arm out in front of him and closed her eyes momentarily. Tiny light swirls formed around her hand as she gripped him through the force and gently lifted. She could feel his amazement and smiled as she opened her eyes and gently held him over the battlements and lowered him to the ground across the bridge.

~He's coming.~ She projected to Gandalf as she watched Bilbo disappear into the night, towards Dale.

As Bilbo disappeared out of the range of her senses, Linshara looked inwards, to the happenings inside the mountain. Thorin was having none of the sense Balin was trying to dispense, he wasn't even registering Fili's pleas to reconsider. A cyclic argument with no end in sight. So it went on into the night.

Bilbo returned a little before dawn, looking harrowed and weary. She'd pulled him back as quickly and and inconspicuously as she could.

"There is an orc army almost upon us all, Lin. Orcs said to be lead by Azog." He whispered.