~Chapter 7~ Now We See What Life is Really Like

Enjoy Chapter 7~

_____________________________________________________________________________

     The man's face remained embedded in my mind as I walked down to the stream with the water buckets. I shook my head and looked up at the sky. The clouds drifted past the sun and floated away. By the time I got back to the cabin, it was time for breakfast. I went inside and washed up in the kitchen. Halt was sitting at the table reading a letter from Crowely, the Ranger Corps leader. I served breakfast and sat down.

     "Halt, when is the next gathering? Didn't we miss the last one because you had to go to Skandia? Can we actually go this time?" I ran out of air and took a deep breath. I watched as Halt put down the paper and picked up his fork.

     "Of course we can go this time. And, by the way, remember your manners when you are there. If you do anything wrong, they will expect me to punish you. Got that?" I nodded and he started eating. I ate quickly, ignoring the growls of protest coming from my stomach. I went outside and saddled up Fury so I could exercise him. I trotted off into the woods and rode to a clearing about four miles from the cabin. I dismounted and allowed Fury to graze. I heard a branch crack behind me and I whirled around.

     Silean popped his head through the bushes. -What are you so scared of ?- His mouth was open and he was panting. He trotted over to Fury and lay down under him. I laughed and climbed the tree that stood in the middle of the clearing. A massive oak, as old as the hills that stood here. It's giant roots anchored it into the ground. As I made my way higher, I poked my head out of the leaves and looked around me. In the far distance I could see Halt's cabin. I saw that Abelard was missing from the paddock.

     I took no notice and continued my climb. Soon, it began to rain and I realized how late it had gotten. I carefully slide down the trunk, avoiding the wet spots and slippery branches. Fury and Silean had taken shelter under a tree nearby. I whistled and they came over to me. Mounting Fury, I turned back towards the cabin and rode forward. It rained steadily the whole ride back. The trail was slippery, so I had to move at a slower pace. By the time I arrived, it was getting late. I untacked and groomed Fury, then put him in the stable. Silean, I already noticed, was in the house. I knew that Halt might be angry at me because I was so late, but so be it. I opened the door and took off my shoes. I was soaked to the skin, and I started shivering. I pulled my cloak tighter and sat down in front of the fire. Halt walked over and crouched down next to me, his face plastered with rage and concern. I knew that I was in for it.

     "Where were you?!? I went out looking for you but I couldn't find you anywhere. Then it started to rain, so I came back to the cabin. See? This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. You should have told me where you were and you should have come back before the storm! Now, go clean up. When you are done, we need to talk." He got up and went into the kitchen. I sighed. What ever he wanted, it wouldn't be good.

     "Why me? Why now?" I whispered under my breath. I changed my clothes and washed my face. I went into the kitchen, got a cup of coffee, and sat on a chair in front of the fire. Halt was sitting on the chair next to me. "Halt, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry that I disobeyed you. I thought I would be alright going off by myself. " He stared at him and I could see the flames dancing in his eyes.

     "Listen Keira. I know, you should have been fine by yourself, but you're still an apprentice who needs to obey my orders," his voice was as soft as rain, and as smooth as glass. "I trust you enough to know that you won't do something foolish, but you still have responsibilities. When did you finish your chores?" I looked at the door and turned back towards the fire.

     "I didn't I guess. I forgot all about them...." My voice trailed off and came to an end. Halt shook his head.

     "That's what I thought. We don't have time for that now, so you can finish them in the morning. Now, on to your punishment. I expect all of your chores to be done tomorrow. You may not go anywhere that is one mile away from the cabin, and you must tell me where you are going to be. Now come on, we have other business to attend to." We went outside to talk about my horse and what I did.

*******FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER*******

When we came back inside I felt like I wouldn't be able to look at Halt again. His eyes glared into me.

"I really am sorry Halt." I just kept looking at the floor. He came over to me and lifted my chin up so I was looking into his eyes.

"Sometimes, the only way to get someone to learn their lesson is to tell them about what they could lose that is most dear to them. Now run along to bed. We have training to prepare for a gathering tomorrow." I nodded.

"I understand Halt. Good night, see you in the morning..." I walked to my room. I felt like I was on fire. Removing my cloak quiver, and various other tools, I got changed. The moment I laid down, I blacked out from exhaustion.

_____________________________________________________________________________

I hope you enjoy this chapter! Read, comment, vote, and I do say fan!