~Chapter 9~ A Choice Can Save a Life .... Or Kill One

Enjoy Chapter 9! Please make sure to comment on how I'm doing, because I have no idea. Also, please tell me if you have any suggestions for Ranger names, because I might need more. (Hint, hint)

_____________________________________________________________________________

Torn between helping my best friend, or my mentor, I sat down to think. Cobi should be fine here on her own, but what does she need help with? And what about Halt. I'm sure that he could take care of himself, but why isn't he here yet.... and the gathering is tomorrow. I got up and found Silean lying by the door. I grabbed my bow and quiver off of the floor, he had been guarding them. (Why not have a dog ot defend your weapons while your away from them?) I told Silean to guard the house.

"Hey boy, guard the house, and her. Ok?" He barked and went to lye down my the couch. I went outside and looked around. I decided that I wouldn't take the extra quiver this time, nor would I waste precious time tacking Fury. I had learned to ride bareback when I was a child growing up in the ward. Tme to see if I remember what I learned. I whistled for Fury and mounted him. -Is this the best idea?- His head was tilted towards me. "It will be fine. Now let's go, we need to get to the castle. Be alert." I gave him the signal and we rode off towards Castle Redmont. When I get there, I won't even bother to stop, I'll jump off and run to Baron Arald's office. With a plan in mind, I urged Fury to an even faster pace. When I reached to Castle, it was around midnight. The guards stopped me, but I told them who I was. "I'm Ranger Halt's apprentice. I need to see the Baron." They allowed me to pass, and I left Fury with the stable hand. By this point, I'm sure the stable boys knew what to do when a Ranger leaves their horse there. Running up the stairs as fast as I could, it took me about five minutes to get to the top. I jogged up the the tower where the Baron was located. One of the guards stopped me.

"Halt. Who are you, and what are you doing here?" Of course, I knew that this was standard procedure, but I simply didn't have time. I rolled my eyes and took an arrow out of my quiver and notched it in my bow. (I know what your thinking right now, that she's going to kill him. Well, your about to find out.)

"Listen sir. I clearly don't have time for this, and I need to speak with the Baron right away. I'm Keria, Ranger Halt's apprentice. Now, please move." I shot an arrow at his weapon, and sent if flying into the wall. The sword clattered as it hit the hard stone. The guard, who was clearly getting madder by the second, gave me a death glare. Baron Arald opened the door because he had heard the commotion that we were making.

"Why hello Keria. Is there a problem?" His voice was so relaxed that I calmed down a little bit. I had to clear my throat before I could say anything.

"My lord, I actually needed to speak with you. There has been, some, trouble, and I need some advice." He nodded and motioned to his guard, the one that I had attacked.

"Digby, would you get back to work, your shift ends in a few minutes." The man, whom I just found out was called Digby, moved to pick up his sword. I started to feel guilt build up inside of me, and I nearly exploded. (Think figurative, not literal)

"Sir Digby, I would like to apologize for doing that to you. I am just stressed out and a little crabby at the moment." He nodded and smiled at me. He came up to me and tussled my hair as he walked by. I smiled and followed Baron Arald into his office. Words just started to pour out of my mouth. "My lord, there has been some trouble at Halt's Cabin. Cobi is there, and she has feinted. I left Silean to guard her, but I feel like it isn't enough. Halt's gone missing, and I can't find him anywhere. Cobi said something about her needing help, but I'm so confused." I took a deep breath and burst into tears. I sank down against a wall and pulled my knees up to my chest. I felt hot tears running down my face. Why is everything wrong now? I heard the shhuffling of feet on the rug, and knew that Baron Arald must be coming over to me. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I looked up. The Baron's eyes had a comforting glow to them, but my worries were to strong.

"Keira, everything is going to be alright. I'll send some knights back to the cabin with you. Do you know where Gilan is?" I shook my head no, my throat too tight for me to speak. "Ok, I will send a messenger to retrieve him and send him towards the cabin. Where did you last see Halt?" I looked up, and swallowed a lump in my throat. I had difficulties beginning the sentence.

"He....he was... at a clearing about four miles northwest of the cabin. He just kept looking at the sky, holding his bow. He wouldn't say anything, even when I left." I kept taking shallow breaths. I stood up on shaky legs. I went over to one of the chairs by his desk. Sitting down, I tried to relax myself. I tried to think about what Halt would do. If Halt were here, he would have told me to trust my gut. I decided that is what I would do. I took a deep breath, got up and opened the door. Stepping outside, I made my way back to the stables. Retrieving a now refreashed Fury, I rode back to Halt's Cabin, warhorses thundering behind me. When we arrived, it was around three o'clock in the morning. The gathering would start in five hours. I can't be late, but I'm not allowed to leave Halt behind. I hitched Fury by the stairs and went inside. When I opened the door a strong coffee smell hit my nose. I knew that it was either Cobi or Gilan because it was Ranger's Coffee. (I couldn't just call it coffee all of the time. It is coffee with a couple spoons of honey.) Closing the door quietlly behind me, I peeked into the kitchen archway. The face that I saw was not the face that I was expecting.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Hope you enjoyed Chapter 9! I have started writing Chapter 10. Please vote, comment and fan!

<-----------<<<-