xxiii. Control

"So, we don't really have much of a battle plan, do we?" Jarrett laughs.

"It basically says, shoot and run. We won't get far with that tactic. The landmines will kill us in an instant," Autumn adds, mild amusement running across her face. The expression on her face makes him sad, when placing it in comparison to the happiness she used to convey. Before all of this happened. Before their lives turned to absolute crap.

"Well, neither of you are coming up with anything useful and Aleyah here probably doesn't understand at all what the hell we're talking about," Angelo chuckles, ignoring the energy and joy dropping in the room. He's like that, Jarrett realises, ignoring the negative aspects of anything at all.

"I understand. Shoot and run. Sounds dangerous," Aleyah says, snickering a tiny bit. She seems worn out. Jarrett wraps an arm around her, kissing her hair.

"You're a cute one, aren't you?" She grins her little teeth at him, and he can't help but smile back. "Well, no matter how cute you are, it's not going to get us out of this hellhole. Ris, you got any suggestions?" The last time they were in here, she had to be injected. He remembers with a shudder how it feels to be under that sort of control. You know what's happening around you, and you will yourself to stop doing the evil that you are – but no matter how much your heart wants it stop, your brain continues moving your arms and legs. You have no say in anything.

"Gas this building down with that terror gas and sprint for our lives?" she says unenthusiastically.

"Well, that's hardly going to help," Autumn laughs, and he notices how much she is forcing herself to lighten the mood. She wants to cry. He can see through the façade. Through that mask she forces onto herself for her own sake, and for the sake of everyone around her. He still has one arm around Aleyah, but the other discreetly grabs hold of her hand. It's warm and almost sweating. Her eyes meet his and he offers her the briefest, smallest smile.

He doesn't take his eyes off of her for a second, even when she breaks their eye contact. He watches her beautiful dark hair swirl over her shoulder. He watches her mouth move as she speaks, not even listening to her next words. His eyes travel to where their hands are joined, and he can't help but marvel at how brilliant it all is. Maybe it's because they were the last two. They were the two who endured through so much pain – but together. And maybe if Peter had not died, she would be in his arms, holding his hand – and he would have all of the brilliant ideas. Maybe if Jarrett had died, she would be all alone.

Then Irisa and Aleyah came, however. And although he enjoyed their company, he missed when it was just him and Autumn. He missed their light conversations to relieve the tension. He missed her beautifully sincere smile that lit up his world. He just missed her. Maybe she doesn't even feel the same way he does – so in awe of her and of her beauty and of her sheer brilliance. Maybe she just wanted to feel the love no one else in this place could offer her. Maybe he was just her rebound from Peter. That was likely.

But he still found himself enjoying it. Enjoying watching her. Enjoying – "So, what do you think?" He broke out of his reverie when her question was directed at him. She is waiting expectantly for a moment, basking in the silence, before she chuckles a little bit. "You need to pay more attention, Jarrett." He shrugs and she squeezes his hand before releasing it as she jumps onto her feet. She claps her hands together and opens her mouth as if to speak again when the door slides open.

He knew it. He knew they'd gone over time. He knew they'd be caught. He knew this had to happen one day. But why today? When he was feeling like maybe he could be happy for the first time in such a long time. His father's beady eyes narrow as he stares at them all in turn. When his eyes land on Jarrett, they position themselves there for a while longer. "So, Angelo – do you mind explaining to me what's going on here?"