ix. Enemies

{ unedited }

“Citizens of Retar! These young adults from the Lyndon town of Kirstai have travelled very far and gone through much pain to reach us here. Please listen to them and heed their warning!” Michael wants to roll his eyes. The leader of Retar is so bold and in control that it is somewhat tiring.

“The pain we’ve gone through began in our town. In our own home. Pyllagement bombed our home and sent spies weeks in advance to light buildings on fire. Do not trust anyone, not even people you think you’ve known for months. And, also, prepare yourself for Pyllagement’s attack.”

The leader of Retar shoves Michael aside, smiling as he stares down at the crowd. “Why have we any reason to trust them at all, you are asking?!” he booms, though no one had said anything in response to Mikey’s words. “They are family!” No one seems to care at all. “Gather the troops, prepare for battle!”

He steps down from the pedestal and leads the way to his quarters. “You are all welcome to stay for as long as you’d like.”

“All we need, mayor –”

“President,” he snaps.

President, is some more food, water and weapons. As much as you can spare for us. Then we best be on our way again.” The man sighs, resting his hands on his hips.

“I suppose we can supply those things for you.”

-

The night spent in Retar quite plainly sucked. The roads never quietened and the city never seemed to sleep. When Rose awakes, she finds herself more tired than usual. Michael is sitting on the bed across from her, watching her. “Creepy.” He chuckles, turning away and fiddling with the sheets.

“How’d you sleep?”

“I’m hoping that was sarcastic because I’m pretty sure we just spent a night in the city that never sleeps.” He smiles and nods a little, obviously feeling very awkward and slightly embarrassed. “Michael,” she says hurriedly. “Are you okay?”

“Irisa had the right idea, Rose. Staying in a safe place.”

“We don’t know if it’s any safer in Grist than on our current trip,” she interjects, eyebrows furrowed. She’s slightly disappointed that he wasn’t displaying those emotions just before because of her.

“But this trip – Autumn, Jarrett, you. All of us. We could die, we could be taken away. It’s even more unsafe with us, because we know that it’ll be dangerous. She’s only seventeen years old, Rosie. She shouldn’t be able to fire an arrow at all, much less with that precision,” he sighs.

“She’s not a baby, Michael. She’s as much of an adult as we are. When I was seventeen I was determined I would rule the world.” Roselle sits up and pushes her blankets away from her with a sigh. “Don’t underestimate her and don’t treat her younger than she is. Because she’s inspirational and powerful – just like you and just like every other person out there.”

“Doesn’t change the fact that I worry she’ll hurt herself even worse than her spraining her ankle,” he mutters as Rose stands and readies her belongs to take a nice, long, warm shower. She feels utterly disgusting.

She spins on her heels to face him, “Peter’s devoting everything he has to protect her, Michael. And so are you. She’ll be fine if the two of you keep it up. Stop worrying. She’ll be fine.” She turns back so she is no longer facing him. She straightens up with an exasperated sigh and is about to walk towards the bedroom when he continues talking.