30| 2 days

Eva sat out on the deck, thinking long and hard over what Jerry had to say. And when the girls rushed into the house, closely followed behind by Marshall and the dogs, Eva watched that cozy, happy little scene and her heart pinched with fear.

Fear that if she wasn't careful, all of this could collapse around her, fragile and delicate as a house of cards scattered in the hailing winds of a hurricane. Rising she joined them inside, listened with a plastic smile as the girls shouted over one another to tell her all the fun and glorious things they had done over the day.

Including Payton—her quiet and sweet little Payton was finding her voice again.

"I think tonight is a pizza night," Eva announced and was met with gleeful squeals. Asking Marshall to oversee the order, she took Hailey by the hand and brought her upstairs where it was private. Where they could talk and Eva could break the news she knew was going to break Hailey's heart.

She opened the door to Hailey's room, closed it behind them. From her daughter's quiet, defensive posture, Eva was sure that she'd guessed something bad was coming.

"We had a visit from Jerry this morning," Eva said as Hailey sat on the edge of her bed.

"Why was he here?" Fingers worrying the colourful layered bracelets on her wrist.

"Things are complicated, baby."

"Quit calling me that. I'm almost thirteen. I'm not a baby anymore." She shook back her hair, eyes hot with challenge.

Oh but you are, Eva thought. And yet, she wasn't. Of her three, Hailey was the only one old enough to remember what life had been like prior to the program. And of her girls, Hailey had had to sacrifice the most. Knowing that was going to make the reason for this conversation so much harder than anything else Eva had done before.

"Hailey, we need to discuss the play." Exhaling slowly, Eva lowered to the bed next to her daughter, tried not to feel hurt when she scooted away. "We're going to have to tell Mrs. Singh you're stepping down."

Hailey's face fell. All anger washing away to stunned disbelief.

"But...No! That's not fair."

"I know, Hailey—"
Hailey leapt to her feet, whirled on Eva. "I won't! You said—you said I could!"

"I know what I said, Hail. I know. And I'm sorry." Reaching for her, Eva gathered her arms in her hands.

"So you're the only one who gets to be the big shot with your gallery and Marshall and everything else? You're such a hypocrite mom! This is my dream! I want to be an actress. I'm good. Really good. And now I have to give it all up because you screwed up?"

"I'm so terribly sorry, but I need you to understand why...All this attention we're getting is dangerous. And if we're not careful—"

She crossed her arms. "They'll kick us out. Whatever."

"No, no baby. Not us." Pulling Hailey back to the bed, Eva smoothed a hand over her wild dark hair. When had her little girl grown so fast? From that tiny, happy little baby she'd first held in her arms to this hostile pre-teen who shirked any and every attempt Eva made to get close.

"They'll take you away. All of you. Sent to foster homes within the program, the three of you separated. I could be arrested for breach of contract, charged. This is serious, baby. Very serious. Randy wasn't coming after me—he wanted you. You are the ones who need protection. I am here as your mother. But if they deem me unfit to keep you safe, I will be pushed out, but as minors you can't leave."