14| Work Together

"So, when are you going to grace the gallery with your presence again?" Jenelle asked, taking a healthy bite of her hotdog.

"Soon as the hullabaloo dies down," she said, pulling her eyes away from Marshall and over towards the field as the game kicked into gear. She tracked Payton's movements as she took charge of the ball and steered through the opposing team's offense like they weren't even there.

"I've finalized an offer with Declan Mackenzie for Lavender Cottage."

Jenelle snapped silver eyes popped in surprise and she lowered her hot dog to her lap. "Seriously? When did this happen?"

"I met with him yesterday evening."

"And you're only telling me now? Jesus, Eva, what happened? What did he say?"

Eva worked through the gist of the conversation and their negotiated deal; a copy of which she had signed and tucked away in her desk at home. And bit down on her lip as Payton set up the goal, took aim—but was thwarted by a goalie out to make her daughter work for it.

Good. The last three games Payton had cleaned the scoreboard; it was time someone gave her a bit of a challenge.

"But...didn't you have some credit issues?" Jenelle asked when the ball was back in play. "Wasn't that why we had to take the lease for the gallery in my name and not yours?"

"Yes, I know, but I've been saving up for a while and some funds cleared recently. I was hoping to put down a sizeable payment so I could pay him directly and avoid the banks altogether."

"I guess I should tell you we had a bidding war over Proceed with Caution the other day that resulted in a sale price just shy of two thousand dollars." Lips drawn into a smirk, Jenelle bumped shoulder to shoulder as Eva sat agog. "You're welcome."

Eva shook her head. "What, is that a Davis catchphrase or something? Your brother said the same thing to me last week."

"Maybe it should be. If I hadn't gone ahead with our social media presence, we might not be seeing the numbers we are now." Tossing copper locks over her shoulder with a bat of her lashes, Jenelle set a hand to her chest. "By the way, I expect a sizable bonus for my efforts. I hear Milan in September is stunning."

"And what do you plan to do in Italy?"

"Besides shop?" Jenelle laughed. "Find some gorgeous Venetian hunk, preferably heir to a stunning little vineyard, and have a reckless, passionate affair."

"I think Dwight might have something to say about that," Eva said, referring to the Samoan hunk from Vancouver's mainland.

"I had to cut him loose," Jenelle said around a dainty bite.

Eva shifted her gaze from the game, assessed her friend. She didn't look upset, but she knew that Jenelle was good a keeping emotions close to the chest. It was one of the reasons they both got along so well.

"What happened?"

"He was getting too serious for my taste," she sighed, brushing a hand across her thigh. "I liked him. But not enough for long-term potential. I'm holding out."

"For what?"

Jenelle's teeth sank into her bottom lip and she rolled it carefully. "Fireworks. Fierce. Consuming. I want that punch the second I see him. Someone to make me feel all..." she shivered dramatically, eyes widening to match her glorious smile. "Tingly."