Defibrillator

Asher obviously knew enough about me to know I wasn't going to say anything. So after my panic about almost dying and then being groped subsided, I pushed myself to my feet and nodded at him in thanks.

When I moved to walk past him, he caught my arm. I flinched back, watching him carefully. He licked his lips as he thought about what to say, but he made sure he was positioned just slightly in front of me so he could block me easily if I tried to pass him again.

"Are you going home?"

After all that thought, it seemed silly to ask that, so I knew it wasn't really his main focus. I nodded.

"I don't think you should go alone. You just passed out, afterall."

Despite the fact that he helped me that time in the cafeteria and he just saved my life (probably), I didn't really know or trust him. I shook my head, but he ignored it.

"My car's down the street. I could drive you."

I shook my head again, swallowing as I slowly stepped away. He kindly pretended not to notice the unwarranted panic on my face.

"There's a couple old McDonald's bags in the back seat but it doesn't smell bad, I promise."

He started walking as he explained, and because my house was in the same direction, I followed, albeit a few steps behind.

"And I have gum, if you want gum." He continued, glancing over his shoulder at me. "You live near me, anyway, and I was headed home, so it's really not a problem. In fact, it would make me feel at ease if I knew for sure you got back okay."

He was talking as if he was still trying to convince me to let him drive me, but he was walking like he was pretty sure I was following. (Which, technically, I was.)

We got to his car, which was really a truck, that was just parked on the side of the road a block down. I paused when he turned to me, swallowing nervously. He was watching me expectantly, but I was just staring at his glabella.

"You don't have to."

I furrowed my eyebrows when he said that; obviously he wanted me to. He had been quite persistent, and then he just backed off and left me confused.

"I would prefer if you did, but if it makes you uncomfortable..."

His shoulders jumped in a lazy shrug, but he was stepping backward toward the passenger side door, ready to open it if I agreed.

The truck looked relatively new, and as safe as a truck could possibly look to someone who knew nothing about vehicle safety. My eyes were flitting around nervously, but I found myself nodding. In truth, it was probably just because I felt like I had to. I was scared he would get mad at me if I disagreed.

The door was opened almost instantly, and he was smiling so bright I almost cringed. I inched closer, hoping he would move. He could probably tell by my body language that I didn't want to have to squeeze between him and the door, so he took two large steps away. The action made me feel small, but I pulled myself into the seat anyway.

Before he could do it for me, I closed the door. I made sure I was buckled up by the time he got in, not wanting to waste any time and risk upsetting him. He was right about it not smelling bad. It was fresh and airy in a natural way. There wasn't a car freshener hung up anywhere, and after a moment, I realized the scent was just his natural smell clinging to the interior of the vehicle.

He shot me a smile and then started driving. I was dreading when he would ask my address, because my phone was dead. If I couldn't type it or say it, it would be an awkward fumble of hands. I doubted he knew sign language.

To my (pleasant and somewhat creeped out) surprise, Asher already knew where I lived. The entire car ride was void of conversation. Even he knew it would be pointless.

He pulled into my driveway easily, no subtle anxiety at having possibly gotten the wrong house. His confidence didn't surprise me, but it did amaze me.

A few unsure smiles and one embarrassing thumbs up later, I scrambled out of the truck. It was so high I had to literally jump out. Though it seemed like the right thing to do, I didn't risk turning around to wave or anything. I didn't know how friendly I was supposed to be.

Because I was listening for it, I knew he didn't drive away until after I had gotten inside and closed the door.

My mother was walking out of the kitchen when I entered, but after smiling at me, she didn't attempt any other interaction. It left me feeling like a balloon ready to burst.

Of course, Asher invaded my brain all night. I wondered why I had passed out, and why he had helped. I guess I was thankful, but it also made me nervous.

He had touched my chest and technically kissed me, and that was more than any other guy in the world could say they had done with me. Or, to me, I guess. At school, I would probably just be thinking about how Asher knew more about my body than anyone else there. I wondered if he knew that was true. I wondered if it mattered to him. I figured I could probably guess the answer.

_______________

Second chapter woot
Please comment and vote
Or just like talk to me in general
I dont have friends