concussion

Protip: banging your head on the lunch table will not cure you of your hiccups. It will, however, invite guests to sit next to you.

After almost five minutes of knocking my forehead against the hard table, Asher and Finn sat down. Finn, for some reason, chose to sit next to me, so Asher had to sit on the other side next to Maisie, who was more than frustrated at my antics.

"Thank god you guys are here; maybe you can make her stop." Maisie groaned.

Calypso finally rejoined us, noticed our new guests, and then sat on the other side of Maisie.

"Why's she doing that?" Finn asked cautiously.

"She's frustrated she has the hiccups." Maisie sighed, subconsciously leaning toward Calypso.

Asher reached out and put his hand on the table where my head continuously made contact, probably to soften the blow, and I immediately sat up straight. When I met his gaze and saw his smirk, I wondered if that was his plan all along.

Calypso, now having the opportunity since the space in front of me wasn't occupied by my hair, pushed my tray in front of me. I sent her a look in thanks for getting me food, and then started nibbling my fries.

"So, what brings you guys here?" Cal asked, eyeing Asher and Finn warily for my benefit, but I knew she didn't really mind their presence.

"We were on our way to our table and saw Em here trying to concuss herself." Finn asked, patting my shoulder twice when he said my name. He didn't notice when I tensed under his touch, but Asher was glaring at his hand until he removed it.

My neck nearly snapped in my haste to look at their regular table. If they were on their way there, then surely their group was waiting for them. Or worse, wondering why they were sitting over here.

Sure enough, a few of them were glancing at us, and when I made eye contact accidentally, I jerked back around quickly.

Asher was watching me. I tried to usher him away with the universal hand signal to leave, but he just furrowed his eyebrows at me in question, so I turned to Maisie.

"Their entire table is watching at us! They have to leave!" I signed quickly.

"That's a bit of an exaggeration." She said after looking at the table herself.

I crossed my arms like a kid. I might as well have been pouting.

"What's wrong?" Asher asked, trying to be sneaky about stealing a fry from my tray. Next to him, Maisie was doing the same thing to Cal.

"Em's freaked out about you guys being here because a couple people from your table are looking over." Maisie said, sounding too calm.

Both of the guys glanced over at their table. "Oh. I think they'll be fine without us for a day."

Finn was either stupid or oblivious. I gaped at him, because seriously, how was he not getting this?

"Finn, I don't think that's what Ember's worried about." Asher said, and I hoped he didn't notice I blushed at the nickname.

"What?" Finn said, then he looked at me. "Oh."

"Do you want us to go?" Asher asked me.

His voice sounded too gentle, and he was leaning toward me ever so slightly to make sure I knew he was really asking me and that he'd listen to whatever answer I gave.

"You don't have to. She's just not used to it. It might even be good for her, actually." Cal said.

I didn't know when Calypso became my mouth, brain, and doctor all at once. However, it was Cal. She was sending me a pointed look, and I assumed it meant something along the lines of you have to step out of your comfort zone and they're just being nice, chill.