Blocked Airways

With his hands still on my arms, Asher started leading me away from the line. I wanted to tell him to stop touching me, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to walk to my table by myself.

  Maisie and Cal were both watching us, equal parts confused and excited. When Asher had successfully led us to them, I gained back muscle control and jerked out of his grip, reclaiming the seat next to Maisie as my own.

  "Hey, guys." Asher addressed them both, friendly smile and all, and then turned to Maisie. "Sorry I wasn't there this morning. I had an appointment."

  Moments before, she had been angry at him for ditching her, but as he spoke, her shell broke and she smiled. "No worries. Wanna sit?"

  My head snapped up. I was so sure she'd be too shy to invite him, but suddenly she was Queen of the Brave.

  "Oh." Asher's gaze flickered to meet mine. "Uh, sure."

  Despite the awkward delivery, he looked exceptionally pleased to have been invited. Relieved, almost, as if he had no where else to sit. I knew that wasn't true, though, because I could see his regular table over Calypso's shoulder. All his friends were there, probably waiting for him, but he just sat across from me, next to Cal. Sure enough, I could see an empty chair waiting for him.

  I ripped the paper off my straw and shoved it in the carton, sipping slowly. Maisie reached across and pulled Calypso's tray closer to her, before she began to eat the fries. Cal just shook her head fondly. To me, she held out a container of fruit her mom had packed for her, no doubt. She had already picked through and eaten most of it, and all that was left were strawberries. Scrunching my nose, I shook my head. I hated strawberries.

  "You don't have a lunch?"

  I looked at Calypso when she spoke to him, making sure she didn't look judgemental in any way. I didn't particularly like Asher, but I didn't want Cal being rude. To my relief, she just looked curious.

  "It's actually still at my table."

  I furrowed my eyes at his answer, looking past him to his table again. There was a full tray in front of the empty seat. I wondered if he was getting hungry. Was he planning on staying at our table until the bell rang? If so, would he go back to his friends to get his food and be forced to explain why he wasn't sitting with them? I shuddered at the thought, sure they would all turn to look at us, judgement clear in their eyes. I also wondered why he left his tray over there in the first place. Had he left his group specifically to help me?

  Calypso and Maisie shared a look I couldn't decipher, and then went back to their shared fries. It was quiet after that, which was nice, until Asher broke it.

  "I'm the same way." I looked at him briefly; looked away. "With cartons, I mean. I need a straw."

  I just nodded, making it a point to not look at him again.

  Then it got quiet again. Everyone else at my table didn't appear to find the situation awkward or mortifying in anyway. They all looked so at ease, as if this was a normal thing.

  When Maisie finished eating more fries than what would be considered appropriate when eating someone else's food, she groaned loudly and folded her arms on the sticky table before letting her head fall on top of them. Calypso quickly brushed her hair away from the tray before it could land in the ketchup.

  "That's what you get for eating all my food."

  Despite her hostile words, she looked disgustingly affectionate. She continued running her fingers through Maisie's hair, even with the lack of imminent ketchup danger.

  "Shut up."

  Maisie's voice was so pained I almost felt bad. She could usually handle a lot more food, but the cafeteria fries were the greasiest things the world had ever seen. Scientists studied them in labs, comparing them to dirty hair and sizzling bacon. Probably.

  Without raising her head, Maisie asked, "are we coming over after school?"

  Cal looked at me, ready to take the answer for Maisie, since she wasn't looking.

  "No. Sister's coming for the night." I signed.

  Cal knocked twice on the table for Maisie's benefit as I was gesturing, as to not interrupt me. Usually we only used the knocking thing when neither of them were looking at me. I felt like she did it mainly to get Asher's attention. He watched curiously, but didn't comment.

  Ever since my sister, Brooke, went to university, she'd only been back to visit a few times. And every single one of them, my mom made it a big deal. She insisted we had to spend the occasion together as a family, which basically meant I couldn't invite my friends over, and I couldn't go out. I could tell Brooke hated my mom fawning over her, but she let it happen anyway.

  "Can I come to your house then, Cal?"

  Like she even had to ask. Calypso would probably never say no to Maisie.

  "Sure. Bring chips."

  Asher looked at me again, a small smile on his face. He tilted his head a bit, like he was waiting for me to answer a question. But he didn't ask one, and I doubted I'd have the answer, anyway.

***

  "Brooke! Emberly's home!"

  I thought Brooke would be getting in later, so I hadn't expected my mom to yell so loud as soon as I walked in the door after school. It made me flinch slightly, but she didn't notice.

  Brooke's unmistakable footsteps quickly approached me, and I barely managed a smile before she was pulling me into a hug. The embrace was familiar.

  She was squeezing me so tight I couldn't breathe, so it was only when she pulled away that I breathed in her scent. She had been using strawberry scented shampoo for as long as I could remember. It, too, was familiar.

  "I've missed you."

  I could tell she meant it. I smiled again, genuinely, and tried to convey that I missed her as well. I could have signed to her. Brooke was the first person to learn sign language when I stopped talking. My mother was still watching us, not quite as patient.

  "Em, say hi to your sister. You haven't seen her in months."

  Brooke waved her hand dismissively. "It's fine, mom. She had to spend her entire life with me already."

  Despite her efforts, my mom still looked stern. She was watching me with an eyebrow raised. I cleared my throat. My mom never forced me to talk except when Brooke came to visit. My sister would make a feeble attempt at stopping her, obviously understanding better that it made me uncomfortable, but I always had to mumble one word in the end.

  "Hi."

  It felt wrong; using my voice on something so stupid. A greeting that could just as well be given with the wave of a hand. Somehow, it felt shallow.

__________

Woot woot woot woot
Talk to me
Bye