chapter ten: brad's really screwing my head up

I thought things with Brad were awkward after we had gotten into the argument over Spring break. Now things had become exceedingly awkward between the two of us now. Brad had made our relationship much more complicated then it had ever been. I had no idea what to do and I sure as hell didn't have anyone to talk to about it. I mean I can't exactly go to my boyfriend and say I think my best friend has feelings for me. Sam would have a field day with this. I don't think Dylan would appreciate it either.

Thankfully someone else picked up on Brad's unusual behavior, even though I didn't want her to. That was my mother. How did I know that she had picked up on it? I overheard her talking to Brad's mom about it on the phone. Of course she brought it up over dinner. I was minding my own business eating my mac and cheese, when she jus dropped the bomb.

"Something going on between you and Brad?" my mom asked curiously. "He hasn't been around lately."

I shrugged. "He's been busy I guess."

My mom nodded. "That never stopped him before from coming over. You know you can talk to me, Nick."

Yeah as if I could talk to my mom about this over mac and cheese. Oh yeah mom, you know Brad has been really weird since we had sex over spring break. We both cheated on our boyfriends, and I think Brad might have a crush on me. But I'm not so sure.

"There's nothing to talk about," I shrugged. Thankfully my mom didn't push it any further. Sam still bothered me about it every now and then, asking me what exactly happened over Spring Break. I told him the bare minimum, only disclosing Brad's crush on that rave girl. I didn't quite understand what was happening with him and Dylan, but it was clear that the two of them weren't exactly on the same page lately. Brad has been pretending like everything is normal between us, when clearly it isn't. Anytime I tried to bring up our last conversation, he blew me off completely.

Hell I caught Brad talking with Georgina Erikson one day after football practice, when I was waiting for Sam. Brad seemed a little too flirty with her. When I brought it up to him, he claimed that he and Georgina were working on a project together for history class. I don't even think they're in the same history class.

"So Stephen King's It or Cujo?" I asked Sam as I sifted through Netflix.

"Cujo definitely," Sam replied stretching his arms out. "Clowns give me the fucking creeps."

I smirked. "Scared of clowns? Huh? That's hilarious. They are just men in makeup. What's so scary about that?"

Sam rolled his eyes as I clicked Cujo on. My mom was upstairs so I couldn't get too close to Sam. She did this thing where she would walk by every few seconds as if she was going into the kitchen. I knew it was just her way of spying on me, and making sure Sam and I weren't dry humping each other on the couch or something. The funny thing is my mother never did this when Brad was around. Hell, she didn't even care that Brad and I cuddled in bed. I should have told her Sam was just a friend too.

"Nick I have to tell you something," Sam said. "And I'm not sure if it's true or not. I mean it could just be you know guy talk in the locker room. But I overheard a few of the guys talking, and they mentioned something about Brad and Georgina Erikson fooling around. "

I bit my lip. "You're kidding?"

Sam shook his head. "I wish I was. They said he had her top off and his hands up her skirt when she came over his house. All of the guys were eating it up – I mean it's Georgina Erikson – so naturally all of the guys were all over it."

"I don't believe it," I snorted. "Brad wouldn't do anything like that. He likes Dylan way too much."

But I mean after Spring break who knows what Brad was capable of now. If he cheated on Dylan with me, he could have just as easily fooled around with Georgina.