Chapter eighteen: prom hell

Prom season was upon us, and all of the fucking girls were acting all psycho about it. I could careless about prom. I mean it's just a stupid dance where everyone dresses up all fancy for the night, and pretend like they actually like each other. Maybe I'd care more when I was a senior – Who am I kidding? I probably won't. I groaned as I walked down the hallway, my eyes flickering over prom queen and king signs. Vote now. Brad had been nominated for prom prince. I only knew because he couldn't stop bragging about it. I wasn't exactly paying attention when they announced the nominees.

I wasn't planning on going to prom. But the more Brad talked about it, the more I knew I would have to go. I mean Brad wasn't going to miss out on being crowned prom prince. So if Brad wanted to go, then I'd have to go to. I couldn't leave him dateless.

"Prom is so stupid," I chuckled as I witnessed what was perhaps the most idiotic prom-posal that I had ever seen. I slammed my locker door shut as Brad chewed his on his lip.

"So you don't want to go?" Brad asked curiously.

I shrugged. "I mean if I had the choice, then no. But I know you want to go, so if you want to go –"

"Well, Georgina needs a date, and I know you're not really for the prom thing, so I told her I'd check with you first," Brad muttered casually. I bit my lip. Georgina, of course, she wanted to take Brad. After all, he was handsome Brad, and she wasn't over him.

"Go ahead," I replied my jaw clenching a bit. "Thank god for her. I really didn't want to go. You two will have fun together."

"Are you sure?" Brad asked his eyes tracing mine for second. "If you want to go, I'll tell her no. You know I'd much rather be going with you, but she shouldn't go to her senior prom alone. You know she almost wasn't going to go."

When he put it like that, I couldn't say no. So I agreed even though I knew that was a complete and utter bullshit lie. There were plenty of guys in this school who would sell their souls to take Georgina to prom. She just wanted her knight in shining armor. I mean it was clear as freaking day to me even if Brad didn't want to see it. Anytime I told him that, he would say it doesn't matter because the only person I have feelings for is you. I still hated her – well, hate is such a strong word – maybe strongly dislike is better.

And since Brad and Georgina were going to prom together, Georgina found every opportunity to hang out with Brad. They went to a billion different stores in order to find the perfect dress for Georgina, and when they were finished finding the perfect dress, they had to find Brad the perfect suit. The worst part about it was that Brad was being a complete gentleman about it. Brad hated shopping just as much as I did, but he didn't complain once about it. That was super irritating. He wanted to make Georgina's night special. Yeah, I bet.

It was becoming increasingly harder for me to be supportive especially considering Georgina was technically my stepsister. Every time I went over to see my sister, it was all Georgina's mother and Georgina could talk about. I absolutely hated it.

"Wait until you see Georgina's dress," Emilia droned on. "She looks so gorgeous in it. Her and Brad are going to be so adorable."

"I bet," my father nodded. I shrugged as Emilia glanced over at me, a smile on her face.

"Nick, why aren't you going?" She asked her eyes flickering to mine for a moment. Hm. Why am I not going? Well maybe because your daughter is going with my boyfriend and I'd rather not be there, watching her pawing all over him all night. That's what I wanted to say. But of course, I bit my tongue. I didn't need my dad knowing about Brad and I. He and I had been keeping our relationship to ourselves. Not that I didn't want my mom to know, but it was better that she didn't. Her not knowing let Brad and I have as much sexy time as we wanted, and I did not want to lose that.