Chapter Three

All rights go to original author.

__________________________________________________________________

I walked aimlessly towards the other side of the lawn, taking a much needed break from duty. Fucking hell, I've been on the go since this morning and it's already 5pm. I only had the time to change the battery of my camera before I get hauled back on the scene. There's nothing eventful going on to the party this time anyway, just a lot of talking and eating and dancing. Besides, Liam got it covered. I saw a lone bench over the far end of the lot, facing the valley of the hillside and decided to spend my minutes of solitude with it. I sat down and leaned on the weathered wood and reached for my jacket pocket for a smoke. I'm not a smoker really, I smoke when I'm tired. Or nervous. I lighted the cigarette and inhaled deeply, the chemicals entering my body already making me feel better. I puffed out the thick cloud of smoke, watching it ascend and disappear on the chilly dusk sky.

My thoughts drifted to the brunette from earlier. Fuck, if I have known what I will be discovering tonight I would've worn something better than my worn out sneakers and faded jeans. I've seen her a couple of times and every time she just gets prettier and prettier. Based on my observation, she's a good friend of the grooms. Not a relative though, far from their looks.

After the brunette- filled reminiscing, I focused on the view from where I'm sitting. The bench is on the edge of a hill and below me are city lights blinking, different in colors, mixing up until they're just a blur of pleasant sight. The artist in me started tingling and I just have to take a picture. I laid my cigarette on the space beside me and took my camera, which is still conveniently strewn over my neck. I readjusted the lens and lighting, making sure I got the best angle and clicked the shutter. I checked the result on the LCD screen. Perfect.

"Thought you're hired to take pictures of weddings not some obscure scenery only deep shit artists understand," a voice from behind me spoke.

My heart skipped a bit when I turned to look at the stranger talking. It was the brown- eyed deity herself. Once again I dared to stare on those eyes, which a little out of focus. Someone's been drinking. Her eyes still have the same intensity they contained the first time I saw them. Her voice was playful when she spoke and she's sporting the same playful look as she stared back at me.

Her eyebrows slightly knitted and I realized I was staring longer than I should. Right, I need to talk. "I was. I mean I am but I couldn't pass up on it." I looked at the city lights then back at her. "Besides, as an artist I'm required to be a douche once in a while." I took a dig.

"Yeah?" Her eyebrows raised, amused look on her face.

I nodded. "Yes. I mean we have an entire curriculum for it in college. Douchery 101, then Advanced Douchery. My professor had a Ph.D.," I said, trying to keep a straight face. "What a douche."

"You think you're funny."

"I'm hilarious."

"Fair enough."

A smile's playing on her lips and she's studying me closely. I decided to give her a proper answer. "I don't have a choice, really. It's a reflex for me. Like every perfect moment is a gorgeous woman; my camera doesn't have the heart to say no."

Shit. I didn't mean to say that. Way to fucking go Jauregui. Next time just wear a fucking neon sign around your neck that says I'M GAY.

The pupils of her eyes contracted and her playful look wavered as she processed what I said. I braced myself for what's to come next; either she walks away or stutter a reply just to fill the awkwardness.

She surprised me when she grinned and walked over the side of the bench. She crossed her arms and inspected the scene in front of her. "Really?" she said more than to herself than to me. "Does that mean I'm one of those gorgeous women since I've caught you sneaking a shot earlier?"