Chapter Thirty

All rights go to original author.

____________________________________________________________

She's fine, she's awake, she's not going to die, that is what's important, I keep telling myself after talking to the doctor and finding out Lauren had memory lost and I'm practically a stranger to her now.

I don't want to cry, no, it's selfish to grieve. She's out of serious danger Camila, you can't have everything.

The past four days passed in a complete blur. I stayed at the hospital all night the first day, sleeping on a chair beside her on the bed before I realize at dawn the next day I have to contact her family about what happened. Taylor came with the rest of the Jauregui clan immediately and I had a feeling Clara Jauregui blames me for what happened to her daughter but Mr. Jauregui thanked me for looking out after Lauren.

Taylor convinced me to go home and have some sleep while she takes turn looking after her sister. I didn't want to leave Lauren, not when she's not awake but I thought the family needs time to be with her alone so I left.

I came back with Harry, Niall, and Luke that night after they found out what happened to Lauren. I was the one who looked after her with Luke that night and the next morning, Taylor and Selena replaced us as we go to work. Taylor told me that it would be better if I stay clear the hospital when Clara's the one who's looking after Lauren and I half heartedly complied.

I hated myself that I wasn't beside her when she woke up and instead I was at the office editing articles after articles but my mind's always drifting to Lauren's frail body lying on the hospital bed unconscious, getting paler every day. The urge to run was getting stronger as days passed but I stayed because I told myself she'll need me when she wakes up.

But I wasn't there when that time came and how could she need me if she doesn't even know I exist?

I rub my sweaty palms against the fabric of my pants and blinked away the persistent tears. Lauren doesn't remember me. If I walk in that door she won't even know it's me.

"There you are, what are you doing out here?"

Taylor sits on the chair beside me on the hallway outside Lauren's room.

"I- I don't think I can do it."

"What the fuck do you mean Mila?"

"It means I don't think I can handle seeing her knowing the fact that she doesn't know who the fuck I am."

Taylor sighs and laid a hand on my shoulder. "Look, I know you love my sister and by the way she constantly talks about you means she loves you too. You have to be strong for both of you. Lauren needs you right now Camila."

"... I know that but-"

"No fucking buts Cabello, you're the one Lauren needs. Not me, not mum, not dad, but you. So get your shit together."

I give Taylor a skeptical look. "I thought you hated me."

Taylor smirks. "But my sister doesn't. You make her happy that's what's important really."

I casted my eyes down to the floor. Maybe I'm wrong about Taylor Jauregui after all. "...thanks Taylor."

"Are you going to see her or you'll sit out here all day?" she says with a roll of her eyes and standing up from her seat.

"I'm coming." I hastily stand up and followed her inside the room.

She's sitting on the couch beside the bed with Selena, munching on a sandwich. She looks thinner and paler despite the fact that I just saw her last night. She stopped talking to Selena and looked up from her sandwich when I walked in.