Ch. 4

500 Years Later

Hunters of Artemis

Since that fateful day five hundred years ago, Zoe Nightshade's life had taken a 180 degree turn. Finally being outside the Garden of the Hesperides, Zoe had travelled the world with the Hunters of Artemis. Her fellow hunters had replaced the family she lost she was banished from the garden, the hunters were her sisters and Artemis had taken over the motherly role in Zoe's life that she lost long before she was banished. When she appeared in the middle of the hunter's camp all those years ago, she was first looked at with fear. But after speaking to Lady Artemis and telling her the story of meeting Heracles and then his betrayal she was welcomed with open arms into the hunters. When Artemis asked how she simply appeared inside the hunter's camp, she had told the story Perseus had given her, that she met a woman after her exile who had recommended she seek out Artemis and even transported her into the hunter's camp for her. At the mention of the woman Artemis had just smiled but Zoe thought she heard the name Lupa as Artemis smiled. Regardless of who Artemis thought the woman was, Zoe had never forgotten the man that saved her life all those years ago. In the past 500 years Zoe had only had two chances to contact Perseus as the hunt was constantly moving from one hunt to another. Both times Perseus had come to see her when she had prayed to him. Although after each visit Zoe was just more and more baffled at the power he possessed. Instead of teleporting to her he appeared to walk out of some kind of portal of darkness. His visits were brief but while he was there he spent most of the time listening attentively to Zoe tell him about her adventures but told her very little of what he had been doing in all that time. Regardless of how secretive and guarded he was about his life, Zoe had no doubt she trusted him completely. When with the hunt Zoe had developed the man-hating tendencies that were encouraged and preached within the hunters. It was not an act with Zoe either, she was a man-hater along with the rest of the hunters. She had witnessed the horrors that men commit and had killed her share of men along with the rest of the hunters. Perseus was just her exception to the rule. She still thought about the kiss they shared all those years ago and each time she did she couldn't keep a blush off her face. She knew deep down inside her heart she cared for him. She just kept those feelings buried as she had made an oath to Artemis that she intended to keep. Although she had only talked to Perseus twice since joining the hunt she could have sworn she had seen a midnight black wolf watching her sometimes during their hunts. It seemed to have the exact same color eyes as Perseus, a beautiful mix of black and silver. But when she looked through the hunt's wolves afterwards she could never find the wolf she thought she saw.

Zoe was currently in the middle of a mission with two of her sisters. They had been sent by Artemis to track down a couple hellhounds that had escaped the hunters earlier in the day. With Zoe becoming the lieutenant of the hunt last year she was often sent with a few hunters to track down the few monsters that managed to escape the hunters. They had split up to track where the hellhounds had separated with Zoe following one trail and her two sisters following the other. But Zoe had lost the trail of the hellhound she was following which was very strange as she was one of the best trackers in the hunt. As she searched for the trail again, Zoe heard a voice that made her blood turn cold. A voice she had prayed she would never hear again for the rest of her life.

"Well, well, well.... Looks like the titan girl has taken refuge with my dearest half-sister." The voice mockingly said from behind her.

When Zoe turned around she saw the one man she hated most in her entire existence walking from behind a tree and into the diminishing sunlight.

"Heracles." Zoe spat. She knew he had been made into a minor god after his death, she had just prayed to never see him without her mistress at her side.

"Long time no see pretty one." He replied sarcastically.

"Not long enough." Zoe said as she tried to send a silent prayer to her mistress. She knew it was pointless though. Artemis had gone to Olympus for a council meeting and then had to drive her moon chariot and would not return until the next morning. Zoe figured Heracles had planned it that way. She just prayed her two sisters were close enough to hear the conversation and come to her aide.