Ch. 7

Ch. 7

The quest to save Artemis

As soon as Zoe stepped out of the vortex and back into the clearing near Zeus' fist she immediately broke down into tears. She couldn't shake the feeling she would never see Perseus again. She couldn't abandon her mistress though, the woman who took her in when she had no home and gave her a family for over two thousand years. She had to take this quest, it was given to her and she would not fail Artemis. She just prayed that somehow she would survive this quest and see her love's face again. In her mind Zoe had already decided if she and the world survived the rise of Kronos and the Titan's forces she would leave the hunt so she and Perseus could be together. She was happy she knew everything about him now and yet she still felt like there was something he didn't tell her, but for now she had to focus on saving Artemis and surviving the quest.

Eventually her tears subsided and she began to trek back to the Artemis cabin, subconsciously gripping the pendant on her necklace. As soon as she walked back into the cabin area of Camp Half-Blood, she saw a familiar teenage girl sitting outside the Artemis cabin obviously waiting for her. Zoe realized a total of 30 minutes had passed since she had run from Thalia. She once again was completely aware of the time and could feel its flow again like she usually could. As Zoe approached her she did not know what to expect.

When she got closer to Thalia, she saw the place where Zoe had smacked her earlier was already healed. She assumed Perseus had kept his word like he always does. Her heart fluttered for a minute before it was filled with dread at the prospect of never seeing him again.

"Hello Thalia." Zoe said politely. She still felt bad for hitting her even if she did not remember it. Zoe was also really glad she hadn't gutted her like she wanted to.

"Ummm, Hi Zoe." Thalia said uncertainly. She had assumed this hunter did not like her and was surprised by the kind tone she spoke in.

"I'm sorry for avoiding you. I was confused. Come let's take a walk somewhere more private to talk, ok?" Zoe asked her. Although it wasn't that much of a question, it was more of a statement.

Thalia nodded in response and the two walked to a secluded area near the sword fighting arena.

Neither knew what to say, but Thalia, never one to be shy, broke the silence. "I was just curious as to how you know, Perseus." Thalia said, whispering his name just in case.

Zoe froze a bit. She expected the question but hadn't actually thought of a response. She was a huntress. She couldn't exactly say 'oh he has been my boyfriend for the past 1500 years'.

Eventually she relaxed, "He is a good friend of mine. He has been for a very long time."

Thalia raised an eyebrow, "Umm aren't you, you know, supposed to hate all men?"

Zoe laughed quietly, "Yes. And I do, a lot. But Perseus is different. I met him before I joined the hunt, many, many years ago."

"And Lady Artemis doesn't mind you being friends with a man?" Thalia questioned, surprised.

Zoe paled a bit. She had not expected that question and wasn't sure how to answer. "Actually she doesn't know. As you know Perseus is not known to very many people. In fact, other than his parents, you and I are the only ones who know he is alive. And it needs to stay that way as I'm sure he has mentioned." Zoe replied, the last part in a slightly warning tone.

Thalia quickly nodded, "Yes I know. I would never tell anyone. I owe him my life. I would never betray him. I was just curious how you managed to be his friend without Lady Artemis knowing."

Zoe nodded in acceptance to her answer, "Yes, well as I'm sure you've noticed Perseus has many, talents, that allow him to remain hidden from those he does not want to see him."