My Love Dont Cost A Thing

The X-Files

Chapter 2:My Love Don't Cost A Thing

After everything happened, Janet could not calm Jennifer down and she stormed out of Janet's home and left. Janet hadn't seen her since and it was driving her crazy. Jennifer called herself punishing Janet for something she had no control over. For the past two weeks, Janet had been calling Jennifer to try and make her come around.

Janet was just finishing up with her trainer when her cellphone went off.She pushed the sweat soaked hair out of her face and sat on the bench in the high end gym. Janet smiled as the caller ID let her know it was Jennifer finally calling her. She quickly answered.

"Hey Jen, I'm so glad you called."

"I got the necklace you sent." Jennifer spoke in a dry voice. Janet was confused. She was sure the expensive piece of jewelry would make her happy.

"You don't like it?" Janet questioned.

"No,I love it. Its so nice but...but its too much J. I'm not that easy. I know what this was. You feel guilty about what happened and you expect this to make up for it. Well it doesn't. I'm not going through this again with you Janet. I can't be bought." Jennifer vented her frustration.

Janet sighed thinking of how she would love to get her bodyguard to punch Puffy in the face for making Jennifer so suspicious of everything.

"That is not what the gift was about. I saw it before Toni messed everything up. It just took a while to get to you. I promise, OK. I don't think you are easy at all. You've been making me chase you around for the past two weeks. There is nothing easy about that."

"So what, now I'm a burden?"

"What?No! Jennifer stop trying to pick fights with me. I want this to work.I want this to work with you. Look, I have this interview with Ricki Lake today. Come with me. I will prove to you that I'm serious about this, about us."

Janet listened to the silence on the other side of the phone and she could have sworn she could heard Jennifer thinking.

"You want me on the show with you?"

"I want you to know I'm serious and I want the world to know I'm taken."

Meanwhile

Toni was busy trying to keep up the charade of a life she had with Janet.Her family began to question why suddenly after Toni announced they were dating, Janet no longer came around. They really like the mild mannered beauty. Toni did not have the heart to tell them that she and Janet were going through things. Hell, she refused to face the facts herself so she didn't. She played like everything was fine between her and Janet and that Janet was just really busy with life and music. Her family was supportive of the fake couple and so when they found out Janet was doing an interview on the Ricki Lake show to promote the Janet tour, they all gathered around the TV.

Everything was going fine and Toni's sister kept commenting on how luck Toni was because Janet looked so good during the interview. Things took a nosedive when Ricki started asking about Janet's love life.

"So Janet, It seems like every time you are here I'm asking you about who your dating."

"You're always asking me something."

"Lets just get it out of the way then, are you seeing anyone special."

Toni's little sister Tamar grabbed Toni's arm just knowing Janet was going to mention her sister. Toni narrowed her eyes. She knew Janet was extremely private, she knew Janet would never admit to dating anyone and would certainly never give a name.

"I am. I'm seeing someone very special to me."

"Want to tell us who the lucky guy is?"

"The lucky woman actually. This time its a girl."

"WHAT!So does this mean you are..."

"I don't like labels. I think sexuality is on a spectrum and it can't be so easily defined. I'm a lover of love, I'll claim that label."

"Fair enough. So a name, can we get one?"

"You can have more than that. She is backstage if you want to meet her?"Janet smiled into the camera, clearly happy with herself.

Toni's mouth dropped open. Did Janet just say that? Was she really about to go public with that dancer? Toni was so numb by the time Jennifer started walking out from the backstage dressing room, she did not notice her sisters and mother throwing a fit around her. They were thinking Toni had just been played and cheated on national television. Toni was starting to think the same way. She was sad but their was another emotion creeping up...anger.

"Wow Janet, you have good taste girl!" a male audience member yelled.Jennifer smiled, trying to hide her embarrassment.

"What's your name?" Ricki asked Jennifer.

"Jennifer Lopez."

"And what do you do Jennifer?"

"I'm a dancer. I used to dance for Tina Turner and Paula Abdul but now I dance with Janet." Jennifer explained while Janet stared lovingly at her and held her hand to ease her nerves.

"What's it like dating Janet Jackson?"

"It's...an adventure. Janet is almost perfect. I mean she is so caring and sweet and fun but just like with any celebrity there are a few people who go too far to be around them."

"Ricki, let me say this. I'm not dating Jen. She is my girlfriend. There is a difference."

"Ok, well we are running out of time. I wish we had longer so we could get to know you Jennifer and I'm so happy for you two. I guess I have one more question for you. Are you in love?"

Janet and Jennifer's both went wide. They looked at each other and Jennifer fully expected Janet to dodge the question but Janet turned back to Ricki with a smile.

"I can honestly say we are getting there. I'm falling in love with her."

Thank You for reading and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE comment. Creative criticism helps me write these.