Chapter 2

The four raptors hatched at 3:26 AM, with me and Owen right there with them.

"What'll you name them?" Sam asked Owen.

"I get to name them?" Owen turned to me. I nodded.

"You'll be training them, you get to name them."

"Okay. That's Echo," Owen said, pointing at the loudest raptor, "Delta, Charlotte," he said naming off the next two, "and Blue," he concluded, pointing at the blue skinned dinosaur.

I laughed. "Very fitting. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to bed. Want a ride?" I asked Owen.

"No, I rode my motorcycle."

"Fair enough." I looked at Sam. "Let me know if anything happens, okay?" She nodded, and I drove off, still in my pajamas.

__

I was sitting in an old lawn chair across from a dying fire when a voice startled me.

"Mind if I join you?" I looked up from my book, and saw Owen standing beside me, two Coke bottles in his hand.

I smiled at him. "Not at all."

"Do you do this every night?" he asked, gesturing toward the fire pit.

"Just Friday's. I typically take the weekends off, so this is a nice way to end the week."

Owen took a swig of his soda. "So, Alex, how did you get here?"

"I walked down the stairs," I teased.

Owen rolled his eyes. "You know what I mean."

"I graduated from Georgia Tech with a master's in wildlife conservation, and before I was even home from graduation, Masrani called me and asked if I would be willing to help protect the dinosaurs he created. I agreed, and I was flown here a week later."

"And your family was cool with it?"

"I didn't have any family to have it be cool with."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

I just shrugged. "Well, what about you, Grady? What got you into Jurassic World?"

"I was in the Navy, part of a behavioral research team. I was discharged, and Masrani called me. He said he was impressed with my work, and wanted me to evaluate and work with some new dinosaurs. I said yes, and now I'm sitting with you."

"Any family to be cool with your decision?"

"Just old relatives. Nobody close enough to actually care."

"Well, at least we're here, at the coolest job in the world, looking up at the stars."

"I'll drink to that."