Chapter 3

Five years later, Owen really bonded with the raptors, and soon they were the same height as him. The park got more tourists, and consequently more attractions. I had so many dinosaurs under my care that I spent less and less time with Owen and his raptors. But every Friday, we would still get together.

"Ah, Ms. Smith, you beat me here," Owen teased.

"Whatever, Owen, I know you came out here first to build the fire."

"But you sat down first."

I rolled my eyes. "Like that means anything." Owen just shrugged his shoulders, sat next to me in the other reclining lawn chair, and looked up at the stars.

"How are the girls?" I asked him.

"We had a training session today, and they followed my commands almost perfectly."

"That's fantastic!"

"Hoskins still wants to use them as weapons, though."

I sighed, then took a sip of the drink Owen brought out. "Hoskins is an idiot. Throw him into the enclosure, and he won't be thinking that again anytime soon."

Owen laughed. "How're the other dinosaurs?" I just shook my head, not wanting to talk about the day I had. "Al, come on, you can tell me." I looked over at Owen, and he was sitting up and patting the area on the chair in front of him, motioning me to sit with him. I sighed, and did as he asked, letting him massage my shoulders.

"Another dinosaur died today," I finally told him.

"Gosh, Al, I'm so sorry." I fell into Owen's chest, and he wrapped his arms around me. "Which one?"

"It was a baby triceratops working in the Gentle Giants pen. She was overworked and dehydrated, so she collapsed. But by the time I got there, she was already gone." I could feel the tears coming, and I tried to move to wipe them away, but Owen just gripped me tighter.

"You gonna be okay?" he whispered. I slightly nodded, and Owen leaned back into the chair with me following him. He started talking, but the memory of the triceratops flooded my brain, and I didn't hear a word he said. I didn't even notice I was dosing off until Owen yawned. Then we both fell asleep in the lawn chair, our warmth keeping each other company.