Chapter Twenty: Let It Be

We walked slowly down the steps of the front porch, Brandon going first, and then I went second. He had wrapped the blanket around my shoulders, telling me I could keep it and give it back whenever. It was quite chilly outside. I stared up at the night sky and marveled at how beautiful it was. Brandon notice I had stopped and looked up also.

          “It’s beautiful isn’t it?” I smiled when he said what I was thinking.

          “Yeah, it reminds me of the time Chase and I went camping with our dad. We slept out under the stars on a night like this.”

          “You really miss him, don’t you?”

          I sighed. “More than you know.” He still had his hand around my waist and squeezed me lightly.

          We started walking again and when I looked ahead my eyes got wider and wider with each step we took.

          “That’s your car,” I asked, amazed. He grinned and said, “Not only is that my car, but it’s also all my hard work. Check it out.” He helped me walk over and I got a better look at the car. It was a sky-blue colored Charger, with white leather interior. The radio system looked brand new, as did almost everything about the car. The amazing thing, though, was that this car is a much older model. I didn’t know what year it was made. My dad taught me how to pick out older cars from newer ones, and this one was definitely an older one.

          “It’s a 1975 Charger,” Brandon said, using his unoccupied arm to reach out and pat the hood with his hand.

          “How does it look so new,” I asked.

          “You’re standing next to the reason,” Brandon said, grinning. I couldn’t blame him; if I had a car this old and managed to keep it in tip-top shape, I’d be grinning too.

          “I’ll tell you the backstory some other time. Right now, we should get you home.” He winced a little at the word home. I didn’t like it either; that place wouldn’t ever feel like home.

          I was beginning to think that no place would ever feel like home again.

          He walked us over to the passenger side and gently helped me get in. The interior felt so cool; I loved the feel of leather. I ran my hand over the smooth white seat, and noticed then that there were small blue stripes down the sides of the seat. The dashboard in the car was white but also had a splash of sky-blue here and there, usually as stripes around something on the dashboard. The steering wheel was white with a blue leather cover. This car was beyond awesome in my opinion.

          Brandon got in on the other side and shut the door. I put my seatbelt on, which was also color-coordinated, and he did the same. He put the keys in the ignition and the car revved to life.

          I really did love that sound.

          Before he pulled out, I said, “Brandon?”

          He glanced at me and paused with his hands on the steering wheel while it was turned right. He hadn’t put the car in drive yet. “Yeah?”

          “Please drive the speed limit.”

          He laughed and said, “Don’t worry; I’ll do better than that.”

          The car started moving, and I thought we would take off. Instead, we went no more than maybe 10 miles per hour.

          “Uh, Brandon,” I asked when we hadn’t sped up any.