Chapter 4

Once we got to the gym Isabella took Sophia upstairs to her office and I went to the back to meet with Dante. When I got there and I started to settle down the pain in my chest started to come back.

Taking in the scene around me I saw all of Dante's capos. Things are serious and I'm happy Dante is realizing it. He looks like he is ready to rip someone's head off. As I waited for him to start the meeting I took my medication.

Dante waited for a few more minutes before he got up and closed the door. When he returned to his desk he looked around the room before his eyes landed on me.

"On Friday night Scar fought against a girl named Tess McBride. She was a new girl and said she wanted to fight someone good. I didn't know her and didn't care too much and I let her fight.

"Then today she went to NYU and threatened Scar." Dante said.

Everybody started yelling in an up roar. They were not happy. Since Dante took me in I have become part of the family. My achievements were celebrated and my mistakes were frowned upon. Dante hit his gavel against his desk and got order back.

"Until the threat is fulfilled our hands are tied by the code. So for now I'll be assigning bodyguards to Scar. You'll follow her around, to school and anywhere else she goes. As for her friends they will be guarded too from a distance." Dante explained.

He went on for a few minutes explaining to his men what he wanted of them. From here his capos will talk to their solders and give them their orders based on what Dante needs. After the meeting everybody is still a bit heated. Everyone was telling me that if I need anything to call them. It kind of made me feel like I have 15 over protective uncles willing to do anything for me.

After the meeting Dante let all of his capos go, but made me stay. He rubbed his head and ran a hand through his greying hair.

"Now what did she say to you?" Dante asked.

"'That was only round one Scar, you still have a debt to pay.' That's what she said. I grabbed Sophia after that and we left." I said.

Dante sat back in his office chair and looked deep in thought. I know he is starting to think of a plan in his head. He wants to have a plan in motion of how to deal with Tess before the next time she makes a surprise appearance.

"Do you think this has anything to do with my father?" I asked the question that has been on my mind for a while now. Dante looked up at me and I can tell without a doubt that it's a yes.

"Yes, it does. Your father didn't only owe them money Veronica. I have been keeping things from you and I still am. You don't need to know about them now. Just know that he did worse then stealing money. You can go now." Dante said.

I know not to question Dante when he gives an order. So I got up out of my chair and left him to think. When I looked around the gym I saw Dante's men are still here. They are all talking with each other.

Trying not to draw attention to myself I snuck up stairs and made it to Isabella's office. Inside Isabella is talking with Sophia and a bored looking Amanda. Shutting the door behind me I let my presence known. Everybody's head shot up and looked at me.

"Finally" Amanda muttered and hopped off the couch and hugged me.

When I let her go she took my hand and sat me down on the couch next to her.

"So what's going on?" Sophia asked.

"Well Dante has ordered us bodyguards. The girl that came to your office is the girl I fought. Turns out she's from the Irish mob. Before he was killed my father did something to them and now I'm supposed to fulfilled the debt." I said giving them a very condensed version of everything that has happened.