Chapter 20

Being back in New York is weird. After being so happy in Australia, I don't know how to feel anymore here. Being back kind of feels like being on hallowed ground. Isabella picked us up from the airport and was surprised to see us with a puppy. We didn't tell her about Cassey so she was surprised to see her. Yes, we did end up bring Cassey to New York with us. At first Amanda and I couldn't decide on whether to bring her back or leave her with Amanda's family. But her overall cuteness won us over and we brought her home.

Things started to return to normal again as Amanda and I went back to school to finish up our junior year. I took another writing class for an elective again and I was pleasantly surprised to see Sophia sitting behind the desk when I got to the classroom.

"What are you doing here?" I asked kind of shocked she is still here.

"Well I'm your professor Scar, what else would I be doing here?" She asked as I took my seat right up front.

"I thought you would be gone." I said.

"Well apparently they think that me being here was a good way to gather information. I'll still have cases to work but I'm going to be staying in New York for a while." Sophia said and gave me a smile.

More students started to fill the classroom and our conversation was cut short. Needless to say I was happy for the rest of the day to know that Sophia is still going to be my professor. With the first week under my belt it started to feel almost normal to be back in New York.

Now that school was settled I started to go back to work at the gym. Even though I didn't want to, I needed the money. When I got to the gym I found it closed and was surprised. Using my key I unlocked the door and let myself in. The alarm wasn't on so someone is here in the building.

"Hello?" I yelled and started to walk upstairs to the offices.

When I got there I found Isabella in her office alone, looking at pictures of Dante and Marco. I sighed and leaned against the doorframe. Amanda doesn't know about the flashbacks I've been having. I know I shouldn't hide them from her but I can't help it. I always keep things to myself. And telling her I'm seeing flashbacks of my now dead father is going to worry her. The last thing I want her is for her to worry.

I felt a tear slid down my cheek and I wiped it away before walking fully into her office. I took a seat in front of her and looked at Isabella. She looked tired; like she hasn't slept in a while.

"How are you?" I asked trying to get her to speak.

"Working on things." She said and looked at me.

"Speaking of things, how is the search going?" I asked.

"We have narrowed it down to a short list of five people. I wouldn't move forward with the process until you came back." Isabella said.

"Can I see them?" I asked.

Isabella nodded and gave me the list of people and different files to look through. So I sat with her for about an hour going through all of the papers. All of the men she picked are great people.

"I think that he will be a good leader." I said and handed the file to Isabella. She looked at who I picked and nodded.

"I was thinking about him too. I'll give Joe a call and give him my final word and set up the meeting." Isabella said.

I just nodded and looked around the office. Things still look the same and I couldn't help but start to miss Dante. He would always come up here and just hang out with Isabella when she was doing her work for the gym. We sat in silence for a while longer before Isabella spoke again.