Chapter Twenty Three

"You don't have to go." I tell him as I lay on my back, staring up at the ceiling, twirling a piece of my hair around my finger. He scoffs beside me, his eyes closed and his body completely lax. It irks me, how calm he is. He leaves tomorrow and he is just lying there. I turn my head to glare at him, expressing exactly how I feel.

"I do though." He mumbles. I groan and slap my hands to my face before I let out an anguish filled cry. His defiant tone has torn through me, slicing my heart and my soul in one solid motion. I can't live on like this. No contact with Callum for...only God knows how long! "Don't." His tone is even yet smooth and gentle. I turn to face him, scrunching up my nose and crunching my eyebrows together.

"Don't what? Accept the fact that you are leaving me here alone to take after a who clan-which, by the way, I have no fricken clue how to do! And who knows when  you will be back, Callum. Who knows if tonight is the last night-" He clamps a hand over my mouth as his eyes darken significantly. 

"Don't even say it, Basia Michaski! Do not lose hope. I promised you I'd return, didn't I?" He pauses, allowing me to nod my head in confirmation. "Yes, I did. So hold on to it. Every night that you are alone or hurting, just know that I will be back to make you my wife." He places his lips over mine, ending his speech. I whimper and wrap my arms around his neck, clinging onto him as if it was our last kiss. 

"You don't have to-"

"I do. I do, Basia. Kiley and William will come back, I am sure of it. We can't allow Kiley to leave our lives forever, correct?" I nod. But when did I become a selfish bitch to suddenly think of the idea of forgetting Kiley and keeping Callum here for myself? I wince at the fact that the thought even crossed my mind. It's my fault she died, she deserves to come back. "Okay." He places a kiss on my forehead and then gets up. I feel my eyebrows scrunch together as he gazes down at me, a soft smile on his face. "Let's take one last swim." He says. My heart squeezes tight as I offer him a hand to pull me up. He grabs it but instead of hoisting me to my feet, he takes me in his arms and carries me bridal style towards the pool. 

We pass a comfy couple curled up on the couch, watching a movie. They both meet my gaze, their eyes filled with sorrow and pity. But Mackenzie is first to smile and give me a nod in greetings. William sits cross-legged on the ground, staring at a blank space in the wall. He must be contemplating tomorrows plan.

I feel warm lips placed on my head, causing me to moan and curl into his chest. "I love you forever, Callum Diggory." He grins down at me and before I can understand what that evil smile means, I am falling through the air. Seconds later, I am completely submerged into water. 

Oh it is on! I splash water at him until he tears off his shirt and cannon balls in. 

Callum and I had an epic water war. It went on for what felt like forever. I wish it did, however. There is not enough time in the world... That is why you need to treasure every moment you spend with the people you love, because you never know when it will be your last...

Callum left the next morning. He snuck out with a kiss on my head and a sweet promise. He stopped by the door and declared his love for me. He didn't know I was awake, that I was dying inside. He didn't know that every step he took away from me, was like a dagger to my heart. I could literally feel our bond stretching  then then snapping back to slap me in the gut. 

I had cried the remainder of the day. I cried for the day after that, and I cried for the week that followed. 

Even when I heard news that Kiley was returning home, I stayed curled up in a ball and bawled my eyes out. I grew hungry, but I didn't allow myself to eat. Zee would bring in bags of delicious smelling blood but I refused it. I punished myself for the fact that I killed my best friend and then sent my mate to become a slave to the King of Vampires. I couldn't breathe anymore.