Chapter Two

The next day, I was walking to school. It was a five minute walk, so it wasn't that bad. I didn't have a car here in California, so it seems like I'll be walking everywhere I go. Lowell High School was an average looking school. It didn't have a more athentic look though. It was tan, two floored and bigger than my previous school.

My stomach did a flip. My first day at a new school! How were the people going to treat me? Will Kiley ignore me because of what happened yesterday? Or will she be the same hyper, easy-going spit fire? And what of Callum? I really I never see him again. He's too tempting. If he gives me that crooked smile of his again, I may just fall in his arms.

That's why I need to stay away. 

No! What are you thinking? He's sexy! Don't avoid him! He likes you! Talk to him. My annoying brain said. And I really wanted to listen. But my conscience told me I had to guard my heart. That he was just like Damian and my father. I winced at that. Callum didn't seem like the type who was rude or abusive. The way he looked at me yesterday, the way he held my hand, it was as if I was the most fragile person he's laid his eyes on. 

I wanted that to be true. But when he came up beside me and bumped my shoulder lightly, I tightened and cringed away from him. 

"Kiley told me you ran out crying yesterday. What happened?" His voice was so soft, so sencere and concerned that it confused me. Why would he care? I just looked over at him and hoped my eyes told him that I didn't want to talk about it. Well, more like I can't talk about it. He sighed and grabbed my hand to stop me from walking to what looked like the main office. I flinched at his grasp and he loosened it automatically. 

"Talk to me, Basia. Let me hear your voice." His eyes were on my scar and I covered it with my hair quickly. Callum frowned, touching my cheek with his thumb. "You'll never be harmed again, Basia. I promise." He touched the scar and I watched his face as if contorted to confusion, anger and then... sympathy??? 

He gave me a weak smile. "I'll get you to talk to me soon enough, angel. I'll gain your trust." He put his face a little closer to mine and I leaned away from him. "And when you do, you will never regret it." He gave my hand a gentle squeeze and then headed off towards the opposite direction we were heading. I sighed and shook my head.

I wanted to call him back to me. I wanted to trust him and just...talk to him. His kindness what making me feel like a bitch for not answering him. He knows I can talk, it's not that I'm a mute or anything. So he must think I don't like him. But that's false. I think...no I know...that Callum is the first man I have ever considered speaking to. And I have a feeling, that sooner or later, he'll get me to talk.

When I got to the office, Kiley was there, waiting for something. She smiled widely at me. "There you are! I've been waiting for you." She draped an arm around my shoulders and pulled me towards the desk and asked for my schedule. 

"Hey, Kiley. I'm sorry about yesterday." She waved it off, grabbed my papers and took me out of the room. 

"Don't even think twice of it!" She smirked as she read the schedule and locker number. I was curious as to what I got. "Well! We have first, second, fifth and eighth together." She did a little happy dance and took me to a locker. 

I wonder if I have any classes with Callum...

No. Stop thinking about him!

But that is nearly impossible! He's so gorgeous and sweet!

I cursed my brain, shook my thoughts away and focused on Kiley. I didn't realize she was talking...

"You have three classes with Callum also! Second, third and sixth." She grinned over at me. "So don't worry! You will have one of us in every one of your classes!" Wait...who were the others she named? I totally zoned her out. 

Who cares? I have classes with Callum! 

I sighed but couldn't help the small smile that played on my lips. 

I was in second period, placed right next to Kiley. She was chatting on and on about how she wants to change the style of her hair and get mani's and pedi's with me over the weekend. 

It actually didn't sound like a bad idea to get a little sexified! 

Then Callum walked into the room and gave me his crooked smile and even a wink. "Hello, Basia. Hows your first day going so far?" I opened my mouth to reply but snapped my it shut. Damn it! He's making this so difficult. I just smiled and nodded. His smile dropped a little but he didn't let it completely fall off his gorgeous face. 

He sat on the other side of me and took out a notebook and pencil. "Talk to me through this. Please." He handed me the notebook. His face looked desperate. So I nodded, grabbed the notebook and wrote on it. 

'My day is going well, thank you. How about yours?' His face seemed to brighten by this. Then he wrote me something back

'Much better now. Thank you, Basia.' And I had a feeling he wasn't thanking me for asking how his day was...