Chapter 18

I paced the sunlit courtyard. Alone once more. Well, sort of alone. The servants Celcath had provided stood about, silently waiting for orders.

Spies. The lot of them.

And keeping up the constant pretense of delegate-like behavior was driving me mad.

Being recognized by Celcath was not as easy as I had hoped. The Lords of the delegation shared meals in the courtyard of the apartments; somber, unhappy affairs. Even Strale's mood seemed diminished and wary. Not once had he taken advantage of the servants, or even made an offer toward me.

Dynarys simply brooded. I sensed that he wished to leave, that the delegation was not what he had planned. But he waited.

Likely to give me a chance to work. Yet here I was, still regulated to the walled off section of the aerie.

The majority of the last two days were taken up by meeting of the Lords, to which I was not invited. That left me with a lot of time to think about the situation. And I had come to the conclusion that my task was impossible.

Celcath was, so far as I could discern, disinterested in seduction. The servants were not forthcoming either. I discovered they would speak to me of mundane matters, such as whether I wished my hair up or down for the day. But if I mentioned the Archon their mouths closed with a nearly audible snap and they skittled away faster than I could react.

I did know the Archon did not have a mate, thanks to Dynarys. But if he sought one, he did so with his furniture slaves. He most certainly did not wish to interact with me, despite my messages that requested a meeting. I had even developed a speech, about lace of all things. Some nonsense about the fine quality and the cities working together to better serve the Dragon Lord's tastes. It should sufficiently bore the man and give him plenty of time to notice my...non-barganing attributes.

Unfortunately my request had been denied by his second in command. Repeatedly. And after the third attempt the servants had refused to carry any farther messages for me. So much for recognition.

I was getting desperate. I sensed the Lord's meetings were not proceeding well. Any moment they might choose to be finished with the Onyx Aerie and return to their own. And I would lose my chance at freedom.

Political upheaval or not, the bargain was the orb for my freedom, and I planned to deliver.

The insistence that I would need to seduce my way into Celcath's chambers did me little good. It was time for a change of strategy. So I paced, plotting.

I would need two things. First a very thorough tour of the aerie. I had spent years at the choosing house practicing my observation skills and committing small details to memory. I hoped to apply that skill now. A firm, working knowledge of the buildings, roads and alleys of this aerie was essential to my plan.

The second thing I would need was the cover of darkness...and a way to avoid the Amber Aerie Lords for long enough to sneak out and commit to my task. But I would worry about that later. For now I needed an idea of the location of Celcath's chambers.

What would happen, I wondered, if I were to appear at his door. Would he be flattered and invite me in? Was it worth the chance that he wouldn't?

Sharp rapping upon wood halted my conjecture. That would be my guide. Anticipation filled me. Finally I might take action for myself. No more being dragged to and from situations where I had little control.

Until I opened the door.

It was not a meek, passive servant who waited without. But Grim, the Dragon Lord.