-THANKS AAKASH-

EDITED CHAPTER#4

Nine years. It had taken me nine years to realize what I had always felt for him.

It made me feel uneasy, but it also made me feel light. Actually, for the most part, irrespective of how he felt for me, I felt relaxed, like a big weight had been removed from shoulders.

It wasn't a crime to be in love with your childhood friend, was it?

I no longer needed to feel ashamed when I liked his palms grazing mine unintentionally or when I felt the urge to just be wrapped in his arms.

In fact, what even was the problem if he hadn't made a move? I could make a move now.

It was cocky and conceited, but somehow I was well aware of the fact that this attraction had always been something both sided. If I made a move, he would give in just as quickly, I held that power in me.

But the question remainded, why had neither of us ever acknowledged this before? If it was for preserving our friendship, was it right of me to think along these lines? Was it right of me to feel this relieved and excited all at the same time?

"Are you feeling a little better now?" Aakash whispered into my ear softly, evidently oblivious as to my chain of thoughts.

I looked up at him and sighed inwardly at the concern in his eyes.

I nodded in response.

A series of sighs and murmurs erupted as Arjun and Disha began exchanging garlands. I shifted my concentration to them and smiled.

The clichéd scene of exchanging garlands took place before my eyes. Arjun had very easily plonked the garland on Disha but right when Disha leaned in to put the garland on Arjun, his friends pulled him back and she missed it.

Her brows knit in irritation as she made another attempt for the same.

Arjun was pulled back once again and this time even Aakash and I joined in the hooting and teasing. Disha gave me the 'et tu brute' look which I shrugged off with a playful smile.

"You know what? I'll let it be." She declared and handed the garland back to the priest suddenly.

"Beti, it's a ritual." He complained.

"Pandit ji, what can I do if my groom is not interested!" she pouted and almost sat down in revolt when Arjun did the corniest thing in the history of love-struck, corny couples.

He got down on his knees, his head bending down to let her put the garland on him.

A victorious grin escaped Disha's lips as she instantly finished the ritual. The crowd started 'oooh-ing' and 'aww-ing', and I immediately joined; all disgust for clichés forgotten.

Disha was a Bengali and Arjun was a Punjabi. Both cultures bore a sharp contrast. I know, I know. Vicky Donor much?

Mala aunty was adamant that she wanted a full-fledged Bengali wedding for her only daughter while Ridhima aunty was also particular about a Punjabi wedding for her only son. As is obvious, both families were in a dilemma.

This delayed Arjun and Disha's wedding, much to their dismay.

For a very long time, discussions and debates were held to come up with a solution. Someone suggested having two weddings but Disha's need to join her office soon enough didn't permit that.

When these discussions got unbearable, Arjun and Disha threatened their families to get a court wedding. If you've ever lived with an Indian family, you'll know what amount of panic the words 'court wedding' create!